dust collector questions

e:

On my Woodstock lid the hoses fit rather tightly into the holes in the lid. I almost had to screw the hose into the openings.

Reply to
RonB

Well, I certainly feel like an idiot. I ran right out and took the QD off the end of one of the hoses and stuck it down the hole. It worked pretty good, but had a noticeable leak between the hose and the top. This is one of the very cheap wire wrapped vinyl hoses. I stuck the QD fitting I was holding in the other hole from the inside out. I think I will order a couple more QD fittings and silicone them into the holes to simplify hooking it up to various other machines. Thanks for the exploitation!

Roy

Reply to
Roy

e:

I am using Woodstock Hose with same-brand of lid and that might make a difference. I have not done much to seal my system since I am still dragging the hose from tool to tool. When I start putting a manifold system in I'll work more on sealing. I know of a local guy who used an off-the-shelf self-stick rubber sealer around the joint between lid and can. I have not done that yet because the suction does a pretty good job of pulling the lid down; but I do have a bungee extended across the top from the can handles to keep it in place.

RonB

Reply to
RonB

Ron, have you ever tried removing the lid with the DC on? My lid just sits on my barrel and it won't come off when running. Sort of like a vacuum chuck on a lathe...

Reply to
Jack

arrangement is similar to this one except the collector hose (not shown in this picture?) comes straight out of the middle of the lid. The lid on the paper drum is the one that came with the drum, but I reinforced the cardboard lid with plywood for durability.

On the sides of the barrel I have 4 hoses running to various machines, Tsaw, Jointer, Planer and Belt/disk sander. The hoses connect to shutoffs on the barrel, which connect to 45° pvc connectors inside the barrel which force the incoming chips to swirl around the barrel and drop around the sides of the barrel. Only fine powder gets drawn up the

4" pipe to the collector. The barrel is located between my Tsaw/jointer and Planer/sander. I can reach the shutoff from my Tsaw, or from my Planer/Sander. No hoses to move, just slide a gate open or closed.
Reply to
Jack

Leon, I did get the Jet Vortex 1100 with the canister filter. Setup is simple, just follow instructions. I sucked up a bunch of saw dust from my Dust Deputy to see how it works. Did it just fine and it seemed like all the sawdust went swirling down into the plastic collection bag right away. I also needed to dump my shredder waste (crosscut shredder) so brought the basket down to the shop and vaccumed it out with the Jet hose necked down to

2". Did fine and, just like the sawdust, all the paper pieces seemed to swirl down into the plastic bag right away.

I think I am going to have to get some sort of 4" hose that doesn't try to pull away from my 2" equipment. The suction of the DC causes the 4" hose to shrink when I put any sort of restriction on it. Suspect maybe some sort of vaccum relief device?

On a very positive note, I absolutely love how quiet the DC is compared to the SV. And I got one of the remote, wireless, switches from Rockler and that has simplified things too!

Ralph

Reply to
Ralph Compton

Sorry, Been on the road.

The vacuum from the collector keeps the lid tightly pressed on the rim of the can. Even with the collector turned off, it takes a moment to release the lid as the impeller winds down.

RonB

Reply to
RonB

Cool! I have been using the "Rockler" 10' clear plastic 4" hoses with couplings to make 20'. The hose is pretty robust and only shrinks up a small bit when totally blocking the end of the hose. There are lots clear wire reinforces hosed out there but the Rockler one is great IMHO.

Reply to
Leon

OOOOOPPPpsss!

Sorry 'bout that. I thought we had two separate strings going on dust collection.

RonB

Reply to
RonB

;-)

Reply to
Max

I'll give the Rockler hose a try. The 10' hose I got at Woodcraft tries to shrink down to around 2-3 feet.

Ralph

Reply to
Ralph Compton