Dry-erase marker meets This End Up (tm)

The young master decided to play a game of tic-tac-toe (actually several games) on a This End Up end table. Really rather funny watching da Missus debrief him. Any of youse who are, or have ever been, a lively five year old boy can surely sympathize.

Isopropyl alcohol took care of the surface stain nicely, thin-q-berrymush, but the ink did get into the grain (jummywood, I believe).

So his Lordship is upstairs being put to bed early and yrs truly is pondering the mysteries of life and cleaning of same.

Goof-Off (xylene or toluence) doesn't appear to be much affecting what's in the grain. I suppose I could continue flooding and blotting with the isopropyl, and I know I can go to oxcyalic acid if I have to but that's for another day.

Anybody got any bright ideas?

Oh, and the look on da Missus' face was priceless. ;-)

Thanks,

a somewhat tipsy Marc

Reply to
MrAoD

At the office I have two things to use:

The first is coffee - a nice hot cup of coffee - dip it in a rag, and wipe on the offending stain. (followed by regular water after that.)

The second thing that always works is a "Wet-Erase" marker.

These are both tricks that I'd learned for "finished" furniture and white boards.

We had one *disgruntled* employee that marked up the walls and a few white erase boards in the office about ten years ago. While the wet-erase trick works for small areas at a time, by marking with the marker, then wiping off quickly - the coffee trick works way faster.

(I didn't believe these the first time I saw them either)

Reply to
Cleveland Tech

alcohol and a toothbrush?

Reply to
bridger

[snip]

Strangely enough I'm holding a cuppa joe right now. Well, maybe not so strange, it's 0438 local time. Haven't got the time to 'speriment today but I'll definitely give it a shot this evening, thanks.

Hmm. I wonder what the look on da Missus' face will be when she sees dear old dad following in the young master's footsteps? ;-)

Regardless, I'll give both a try in sequence, thanks!

Marc

Reply to
MrAoD

[snip]

No thanks, I'm driving.

Marc

Reply to
MrAoD

No help, sorry but *a ton of sympathy*. We've learned the hard way - now only Washable Markers are allowed in the house. Birthday presents are run thru our Indelible Ink scanner and offenders are accosted.

Reply to
patrick conroy

Those were *my* whiteboard markers. Unfortunately his lordship has appropriated my whiteboard as well as the marker.

Good plan, too bad da Missus bring permanent markers into the house.

Gonna try the coffee trick tomorrow a.m.

Oh, and for those of you who've experienced the joy of Crayola (the non-washable variety) hieroglyphics on the wall, grab a paper towel, give it a light squirt of WD-40 and hey! presto, it's gone.

Best,

Marc

Reply to
MrAoD

What kind of finish on the wall? I would think that WD-40 would leave an oily stain on paint.

Wayne

Reply to
NoOne N Particular

I've used it on everything from flat to enamel and there's no residue. The trick is to squirt the WD-40 on the rags/paper towel, not the wall. Don't saturate the cloth, and don't rub hard. For some reason the non-washable crayon seems to be soluble in WD-40.

The problem with scrubbing stuff off anything but flat paint is you can see the scuff marks when the light is just right, with the WD-40 there's no mark and whatever small amount of residue there might be evaporates over time.

Best,

Marc

Reply to
MrAoD