Squirrel meets tragic end

Found a gray squirrel next to my garden this morning. I have an ordinary el ectric fence around my garden to keep the deer out. Apparently a deer broke the wire sometime last night and this morning a poor squirrel got into the tangle of wire and met a sorry end. This is the first time I have found an ything dead near the fence since I began using it five years ago when the l ocal deer population began to explode. The electric wire is normally suspen ded as two strands four and five feet off the ground.

Reply to
Davej

Hard to feel sorry for the tree rats as well as the rats with hooves ;)

I've had snakes get tangled in deer netting around plants. Fortunately have been able to free them.

Reply to
Frank

Nah it was the squirrels bungee jumping, that one didn't adjust the tension right and touched the ground.

David Hare-Scott

electric fence around my garden to keep the deer out. Apparently a deer bro ke the wire sometime last night and this morning a poor squirrel got into t he tangle of wire and met a sorry end. This is the first time I have found anything dead near the fence since I began using it five years ago when the local deer population began to explode. The electric wire is normally susp ended as two strands four and five feet off the ground.

I had the same thing happen to a rabbit last year but the fence hadn't brok en. Guess he just jumped where he shouldn't have. My wires started at 2 fee t. Changed that this year. There is just one wire at 4 feet or so and that not only has worked for the deer it is a hell of a lot easier to get in to weed. MJ

Reply to
mjciccarel

Oh yeah, I had a snake die in my bundle of bird netting last year. I guess they can't crawl through that stuff.

Reply to
Davej

They got tangled so badly, I had to cut them out. Had caught three of them - all black snakes. Fortunately no poison ones around here.

Reply to
Frank

I've got an idea. I will connect the fence charger to a photocell so that it is only turned on when it is dark.

Reply to
Davej

Deer are generally nocturnal but not always, particularly when they have no enemies and there is a food that they like. I've been chasing them away at all hours since chestnuts are falling from my trees.

Reply to
Frank

If there's free corn , they'll stop by in full daylight ... as evidenced by my game cam today . Oh I didn't grow the corn , I put it out to attract deer . Bow season is open , muzzleloader and rifle seasons soon . We'll be eating some Bambi this year . -- Snag Mighty Hunter

Reply to
Snag

I hope to be adding some Bambi to the freezer too. Been bow hunting to no avail so far.

As for deer in my back yard, which wife does not want me to shoot, after yesterdays posting I've been tossing firecrackers off the deck to chase them. If I walk out and yell they just move off a bit and look at me. Enough to drive a hunter crazy.

Reply to
Frank