Drilling setup

I have a big heavy old pillar drill and it is sooo inconvenient for woodwork I am thinking of taking it to the scrap yard.

Where would I find a sensible benchtop machine for drilling? with a fence and end stops and support for longer and wider pieces, a better reach into the middle of a board, one where the drilling head was moved up and down and not the workpiece. Does it exist? or do I have to make it myself?

TW

Reply to
TimW

I don't know of a drill press with those specs. I'd start with something like a Grizzly G7945 or Shop Fox W1669 and add my own make-it-yourself extended table, fence and end stops. That's what I did (my support table is 16"x27" melamine coated MDF with miter t-track inserts to hold the fence) and it works pretty well for me.

Reply to
Just Wondering

If you want a big table (and the price tag just as large):

krw

You need to limit those goals. 'support' for long and wide pieces won't be possible on a benchtop unless the work is on the bench, in which case a Portalign jig with hand drill is more useful than a drill press.

Not sure what 'better reach' requires, but radial drill presses are pricey and that reach never did me much good when I had one... Grizzly offers one

Clones of the old Delta bench drill press models abound, have circa 6" throat which will get you to the middle of a 12" board... General plan is motor /belts-and-pulleys/ nontilting head, with tilting table clamped to a round column.

For preference, I'd want a 1/2" chuck and replaceable motor, and change-a-belt speeds (old school, but when something breaks, it's not a total-drillpress-replace).

Reply to
whit3rd

This device seems to fulfill your requirements:

- a fence and end stops and support for longer and wider pieces

- a better reach into the middle of a board

- the drilling head is moved up and down and not the workpiece

You just need to supply the "drill head", although you'd be limited to

5/8", 1/2" and 5mm as your initial hole sizes.

DerbyDad03

Typo...make that 5/16", not 5/8"

Reply to
DerbyDad03