pillar drill recommendations please

Hello,

I am setting up a small diy workshop and want to buy a bench-mounted pillar drill. I haven't got any particular specifications but anticipate it will be mostly lightweight work into wood or metal.

Anybody got any makes/models they would recommend or warn against?

Thanks.

Chris

Reply to
cskrimshire

If I had to buy a new one I'd probably go for a Sealey. They seem pretty well-regarded.

Reply to
Cursitor Doom

I'd check that any one you go for has enough clearance between the adjustable table with vice and the bottom of any likely drill bit you'll use. With my first one, a cheap B&Q, you couldn't drill a bit of 2x2" wood due to lack of clearance. And similar ones are still being sold. I replaced it with a Lidl one which cost about the same, but has a much more powerful motor, and about 4" more travel for the table. Which seems to cope with anything I do.

Other thing is to check for sideways slop at the chuck over the entire range of travel.

I've often wondered why they all provide a choice of speeds, which must cost to make. I've only ever used the slowest speed on mine. And wish it had a slower one for using a holesaw, etc.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

I got a Clarke one, probably 10 years ago. It was a middle of the range one which was on special offer at Machine Mart at the time. Being short of bench space but having floor space, I went for a full height floor standing one. I'm not a heavy user, but as I build quite a few electronic items, it makes drilling out the cases and other related things much easier than using a hand-held drill.

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

I've got a secondhand Clarke (I think CDP5DD, any way a bench rather than floor stander) it's not the most accurate or powerful in the world, but it does me - keep an eye on gumtree if not in a rush to buy one, I gave up trying to find a bargain on eBay, too many others with the same idea.

Reply to
Andy Burns

If going for Clarkes, before thinking of buying from Machine Mart check out their reviews. A while back they had a dreadful reputation for customer service. Although if everything goes fine this shouldn't be a factor its maybe worth bearing in mind.

michael adams

michael adams

If not in a rush, keep an eye out for the Lidl/Aldi ones too. I've got the Lidl one and am pleased with it.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

I'm happy with my Performance Power cheapy from one of the Sheds, £30 or there abouts, quite a few moons ago. One of the gotchas has already been mentioned, distance from drill tip to work when mounted in vice on the table. Another is how far is the drill tip from the side of the column, ie how far over the work can you drill. Another the cheapies probably don't come with a table vice, you need one.

As with all these cheap tools they can be a pain to set up accurately for a job. But once set tend to be stable.

I really like mine, it makes drilling holes so much more accurate both in position and plumb than handheld.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

And if you need to take anything back, insist on a proper refund not a credit voucher!

Reply to
John Rumm

I had Meddings pillar drills in my factory. Very good and very reliable.

Reply to
Nightjar

I would avoid the Ferm one I got... while some bits are ok (reach, power etc), its too sloppy - especially at full plunge.

Reply to
John Rumm

+1

Chris

Reply to
Chris J Dixon

There might be an adjustment for that, mine has something for the quill but as I've not noticed any slop not investigated in detail. By "something" I mean a machine screw in the body that bears against the bottom of the anti-rotation slot in the quill.

I'd expect you to have checked for such an adjustment though. B-)

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

To be fair I had not - but then again its a fairly crude beast, so I don't hold out much hope.

Reply to
John Rumm

In message , snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com writes

I bought a Silverline pillar drill, following a recommendation here, and am delighted with it. Sits on the bench, ready to use, so quicker than finding the B&D hand drill. Probably not a precision instrument, but for the odd jobs and hobby bits I do around the house, perfectly adequate. The only extras I bought were a clamp/vice, and bottle of cutting oil.

Mine looks to be the same as eBay 291436358748, which is less than sixty pounds delivered. Assembly was straightforward.

Reply to
News

Mines pretty crude, what do you expect for £30?

Image search on google threw this up:

If that's not the same as mine it's awfully similar.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

Meddings. Now you're talking.

Reply to