Downdraft Table suggestions ?

I got a dual industrial blower unit given to me and I'm going to make a downdraft sandign table with it.

I've been all over the FAQ, google, etc. and while I've found a few insights but not really enough to get going with. I like this design:

my blower is essentially TWO of what thay guy has and while I could conceivably separate the 2 (they share a common shaft which I'd have to cut and re-locate the end bearing), I'm thinking that more airflow is better !

I think I need more filter area.

I've seem commercial kits that have filters all the way around, but my kind of blower isn't conducive to such a design.

The only other idea I have is to build a carcass, put the blower in the bottom and put a 'ceiling' of filters above it, covering the entire inside area of the carcass, and then put the swiss-cheesed work surface above that.

My concern with that is that it doesn't have the sloped surfaces that other designs incorporate which seem to be there to equalize the airflow at the edges.

Anyone care to share their thoughts ?

Thanks,

Reply to
Mark

I'm working out a design that will vent outside. Keep the cost of filters down and let the squirles and rabbits worry about the dust.

KY

Reply to
Kentucky Highlander

Once you put something on the table, it'll increase the airflow around it, so I don't see a problem there. More likely the sloping is to allow the dust to "fall" into the blower intake. Sounds like a nice size blower. Make it as big as you can. You can place sheets of sandpaper around the perimeter to increase the airflow around the workpiece. mahalo! Tom Someday, it'll all be over....

Reply to
Tom

Mine has a double blower (motor between), vented downward in the bottom of the table. Above that is a bag type filter from pen state. Above that is a pleated AC filter then on top is a coarse filter to catch trash. The top has 3/4" holes and is on hinges so I can open it up while using other machines so that the air flow through the filters is faster. Keeps a lot of dust from settling out all over the shop.

Reply to
Gerald Ross