Downdraft / Sanding Table Plans or Experience

I have seen the plans for sale from Rockler, and 1 or two "general" information websites, but wondering if anyone has any links to websites or businesses or people who have built one, pictures, plans, etc...

The more information the better. Especially interested in hearing from anyone who has actually built one, and what they thought, tips, or more information there too.

I have a pretty heavy duty motor, steel industrial squirrel cage, thinking about building a table but looking for some more tips or experiences. Not looking to buy one built, or hear save your money, so far I've got about nada in this, and planning on doing it!! Thanks.

Remove the nospam from my address to email me!!

Reply to
Xlat

If you make it the right height it can be an air cleaner, downdraft sanding table AND an outfeed table. Not a set of plans but should be enough info to make one.

Used truck filters can be had for free - blow them out from the inside and you're good to go.

charlie b

Reply to
charlie b

Xlat, I'm just finishing up my air cleaner/downdraft table/outfeed table. It is based on charlie b's, so that's a good start. I really liked the idea of the combination. But if you're really after only a downdraft table, you could still get some good ideas here.

If the primary purpose is the sanding table, you might want to put some effort into the design to determine what will make it perform well. Good flow velocity through the top. How many openings in the top are required? Does the shape of the openings make a difference? Sides that extend upwards from the table top will make it better by containing the dust, and by drawing air through a smaller area than a wide-open table, maintaining the velocity. Probably lots of things you could pick up just by looking at commercial units.

Make it easy to clean and replace the filters. I had planned on having mine completely screwed together and sealed, but changed that along the way and fastened the blower chamber top with wedges, and sealed with weather-stripping, so I can take that off easily and have total access to the filters and blower.

Your access to final filters may be different. I couldn't find inexpensive spa filters anywhere that looked like they had nearly enough filtering area. I tried a couple of truck fleet garages, and both of them told me they replace the filters only when they're clogged to a certain point. They actually use a gauge and measure. Plus I really preferred to get something where I'd have an idea of the filtering efficiency (as long as it didn't cost a fortune). I finally found my filter cartridges online at

(no affiliation). Discontinued Donaldson industrial dust collector cartridges for $6.95. I bought 6 of them. The models that replaced these are 99.97% efficient at 0.5 micron(!) with 60 sq.ft. of filtering area each, so the discontinued ones should be close to these specs.

I hope to post some pics soon of my completed unit.

Reply to
Keith Carlson

Thanks guys, for the website link and information. Perfect I think, maybe a few minor changes for my use, but that is what I'm looking for. I'd also love to see pictures when you are done with yours, or even post a few while it is being built. That sometimes is even better, because you can see the construction much better and it gives ideas. Appreciate the help!!

Remove the nospam from my address to email me!!

Reply to
Xlat

I built 2, with ken Vaughn's table in mind...

1st one was about 18" by 30" (size of old pegboard scrap) and about 3" deep, with shop vac attachment..

It worked so well, that I made a larger, nicer looking one with a 4" DC connector..

I find that I use the small one with the shop vac about 90% of the time... the bigger one is usually buried because it's a flat surface and therefor a shit collector.. lol

The old sears shop vac works as well as the DC for my purposes and is a lot easier to set up and use... and the easier to use, (and find), the better chance that I'll use it..

They make an amazing difference, especially when combined with a rubber sanding mat.. (I use a strip of 12" wide tool drawer cushion)

mac

Please remove splinters before emailing

Reply to
mac davis

I've got one of these sitting in my garage for almost 2 years now, never brought it into the shop, given to me by a friend. I'm wondering about its usefulness. If I hook my shopvac to my ROS and belt sander while in use, what benefit can I expect from a downdraft table? My shop ain't huge so before I give up the space I want to know the payback is there.

Scrub

Reply to
Scrub

On Tue, 01 Mar 2005 09:15:16 -0800, mac davis

That is a nice one, but I'm looking to build a larger floor model type unit, with filters inside, double as a "shit collector" ;) Thanks!

Remove the nospam from my address to email me!!

Reply to
Xlat

Welp, I figure it can double as a lightweight workbench, dust collector to filter what air gets to it, as well as a filter for a larger area that will get whatever dust the tool you are using on / around it misses.