Dancing Man Plans

Dancing man, limberjack, steppin sam.... Yep, I searched and searched, but didn't find 'em. I found pictures and talk about them, but no plans. I need a simple plan for a kid project. Can anyone point me to some? Thanks, Wilson

Reply to
Wilson Lamb

I bought one, somewhere, I dunno- museum of Appilacia? Maybe it was at a Craker Barrel?

Don't need a plan if you have the man.

-Dan

Reply to
Dan Valleskey

down to #332. First one up no a google search for "limberjack plans" so there are others. A buck.

Reply to
Charlie Self

Yep, a buck, and five for shipping. Wife found the same thing at Elderly Instruments and we ordered it, but there's no picture of either. They may be OK, or too complicated for a kid to manage.

Reply to
Wilson Lamb

WIlson,

I think the complexity is pretty much what you wish it to be. I've seen limberjacks that range from 10" to 18" in height, with and without fancy joints, but all of them have jointed knees, hips and shoulders (easily done with axle dowels with a cap style end). Stick a dowel about 2/3 of the way up the back and make a board large enough to be sat upon and bounced by hand while the kid holds the jack's stick. Great combination toy and rhythm instrument.

Paint or don't paint, finish or don't finish. I'd use something like soft maple or poplar for the jack (traditionally, in Appalachia, it is done in cherry or walnut and left unfinished), and maybe poplar or pine for the percussion board.

Sounds like time for someone to do an article on the subject, fer pete's sake. I found a sufficiency of photos, but no plans other than what you found.

By the way, the limberjack is not always classed as a toy. A bit west of here, it's a musical instrument usually played by adults.

Reply to
Charlie Self

Check out books by John Nelson at your library.

Reply to
Lawrence Wasserman