Amazon versus Lee Valley

$35.40 Canadian, which at current exchange rates should be about $28.75US each. You're still getting a deal, not just because of the exchange rate.

So LVT is still ripping off us poor Canadians by refusing to take a hit on the rise of the Canadian dollar and unfairly giving you Merkins a deal on stuff. (Just kidding, Rob.)

Reply to
Luigi Zanasi

Just did a price comparison fom 12" Jorgenson cabinet master clamps. (Quantity = 4)

Amazon = $32 but no shipping = $128 Lee Valley = $25 + shipping = $108

Hmmm.

Reply to
Never Enough Money

Not much of a surprise. We often find their books are say $22 when via chapters.ca or amazon.ca they are more than $30.

Never Enough M> Just did a price comparison fom 12" Jorgenson cabinet master clamps. > (Quantity = 4) >

Reply to
Will

Shows ta go ya that you're paying for "free shipping" somehow...

Moral--there no free lunch (at least in perpetuity)... :)

Reply to
Duane Bozarth

Not taking sides but its not fair to make a global comparison of (Amazon vs Lee Valley) based on one product's price differences.

For example, 4 x 48" Cabinet Masters from Amazon is $173.75 including shipping and $194.00 from LV without any shipping price added.

Reply to
Woodcrafter

Reply to
Bruce Barnett

clamps.

No necessarily. Probably 90% of the time I find items which are the least expensive on Amazon AND they have free shipping.

Reply to
Larry Bud

My comparisons have not been so uniformly in favor of Amazon...depends on what you buy, undoubtedly. Somewhat like assuming Wally-World, etc., are cheapest place in town...some is, some isn't...

Reply to
Duane Bozarth

I just bought a Jet 12" disc sander from Amazon. $225 shipped. Most everybody else is at $250 or so plus shipping or tax.

Brian Elfert

Reply to
Brian Elfert

Amazon won't match other web sites. Most B&M stores aren't going to be less than Amazon, although a few are.

Brian Elfert

Reply to
Brian Elfert
[schnipperectomy]

One of the reasons LVT is a little bit more than others is that they service outposts like yours, Luigi *g,d & r* "Even on the Canadian frontier can a quality tool be had!"

This world would be a better place if all companies would conduct business with the integrity of the Lee family. You get a piece of that with every tool you buy from them. You can't put a price on that.

0¿0

Rob

Reply to
Robatoy

I've been trying to get Robin to open a store in Whitehorse for over six years now, but he refuses to respond. :( Anyway, I pay the same shipping costs as you do when I order stuff. Heh! heh!

In case you weren't around at the time, the reference was to a particularily obnoxious troll/idiot last fall who wasted a lot of bits pissing and moaning about the fact that LVT prices were higher in Canada than US prices and claiming that LVT was ripping us off. People wasted a lot of bandwidth playing whack-a-mole with him trying to explain the reality of exchange rates and fixed catalogue pricing.

Reply to
Luigi Zanasi

So? Simply shows that there are (still) pricing differences across vendors. I check Amazon and use them a significant amount but haven't found them universally cheaper...as noted in another response, that probably reflects particular purchase patterns, as well. Point was, Amazon has to pay for the shipping ...it

Reply to
Duane Bozarth

No comparison. Lee Valley provides a select product line that serves a small slice of the market. Amazon's product line is vast and widening as is consumer base.

Lee Valley actually has very good customer service. It costs extra and it is reflected in the price or profit margin. ANSTAAFL. Amazon has little or no customer service and relies on volume and consumer frustration to solve problems.

I will buy it from Robin Lee and LVT if they have it. If they don't (like Leigh stuff in the US!) I'm forced to deal with others.

Dave

TeamCasa

They matched a web site price for me on my DW735 about a year ago...

Reply to
patrick conroy

I am a long time customer of both Amazon and Lee Valley. 90% of the time, Amazon is competitive. I disagree with the post that implied Lee Valley customer service was better than Amazon's. I've found both to be exceptional. However, if you want to find out how a tool is used, care/maintenance, etc. Lee Valley rules. Amazon takes stuff back w/o question.

I'm glad both exists.

Reply to
Never Enough Money

The policy specifically says no web sites unless they also have a catalog or a B&M store. I guess they don't want to compete with some guy taking orders out of his house and having everything drop shipped.

You also have to call to get a price match which isn't worth to to me unless the savings is a lot.

Brian Elfert

Reply to
Brian Elfert

I live in Springfield, Illinois and I have purchased several things from Lee Valley and have never been disappointed with them and they have good prices.

Reply to
Bob

Shouldn't be a problem with LVT - they have both a printed catalog and real stores.

Mike

Reply to
Michael Daly

Me too. Competition is a shopper's friend.

Reply to
Phisherman