Baby Crib Plans

Well my wife dropped the news a couple days ago. We are going to have our first baby. I would like to build a crib, but I am told there are certain safty rules that need to be followed. Can anyone point me in a direction to find plans and safty requirments?

Thanks for your help.

Mike

Reply to
DMdiver

This helped a bunch thanks

Mike

Reply to
DMdiver

You can get a good plan and hardware kit from woodsmith:

built this for my newborn son (only 9 days old!) and it came out great. The finish isn't what I wanted, but it works with the nursery. You can see some pictures of it here:
this is our first, too, and it is wonderful and amazing.

Mike

Reply to
Mike in Mystic

Hi Greg,

I noticed your post. Congratulations! My son was born on the 21st, one day before your son, if the date I have for your post is accurate. I feel pretty silly, since we haven't used the cradle even once (wife had a c-section and couldn't bend down that far to pick him up/put him down). He likes the crib just fine, so I'm not sure if we'll even use the cradle at all.

Hope everyone is doing great on your end. I just got my guy to sleep hehe (3:20 AM hehe).

Mike

Reply to
Dr. Seuss

Congratulations. My son is 10 1/2 months old and I built his crib. There is a good plan from rockler. They also sell the rodless hardware. What I really like about this plan is the way the spindles are laid out. The gap is narrower at the top than at the bottom. This way, whenever he tries to climb, there is no way for him to get leverage by wedging his feet in the spindles. This is really nice as he tries to climb everything.

Reply to
James Oliver

Reply to
Bob Bowles

That is the plan that I used. It is a set of plans for a crib. It is not step by step instructions. It was probably the most complex project I have tackled. That is only because I had never tried to mass produce anything before. There are 52 spindles that must be milled. It was a steep learning curve, but it was well worth the effort. My son seems to thoroughly enjoy it.

Reply to
James Oliver

Reply to
Bob Bowles

Yeah, these were not written like a PMCS manual. I spent a few years maintaining the Multiple Launch Rocket System and then Blackhawks.

I sprayed a lacquer finish with the PC HVLP gun that runs off a standard air compressor. I thought that it would give the longest lasting finish through the teething phases. This was the first time I had ever tried a spray finish. The PC gun was really easy to use. I hung some plastic up in the garage to make a small spray booth. I was able to keep the dust down, but the respirator was a definite must have as there was no air movement. The crib was done out of hard maple. A good portion of the maple I bought had some light figuring in it which was a definite bonus. The maple was very dificult to work with when milling the spindles with a router.

Reply to
James Oliver

Reply to
Bob Bowles