We're decorating our sons room with a train theme. I want to buy an old
railroad lantern and convert it into a nightlight. I can do the electric
and all, but I don't know if I should be concerned about using something
that used to use oil? kerosene? other flamable matrial as a fuel. Not
sure if adding electicity to something that might have fumes lingering
is a good idea. Anyone have an opinion on this issue?
Although it would give the room an authentic smell, for some,
the smell of kerosene is not agreeable. I doubt you have a fire hazard
problem but a cleaning with a good nonflammable degreaser (triclore
1.1.1.) followed by a dish soap and water wash would eliminate both
HTH - george
Makes me sick at heart to hear of some one doing that to an antique RR
lantern and the cost!! around here they go for close to a hundred bucks.
But oh well, clean out the lantern with a good soap and water solution,
rinse and repeat until ALL odor and oily feel are gone let dry with the tank
upside down and the burner removed and check to see if any oil remains. wash
again with a product such as CLR and dry again. If you are going to leave
the burner and wick in clean it the same way and replace wick with new one.
Once all oil residue is removed you should be safe enough from fire and
odor. Clean lens the same way and don't tell me if you are using a clear or
green lens please.
My father made a lamp from an old RR caboose lantern that I played with as
a kid, 45 years ago. It is kerosene with a large red lens on front and a
small clear and a small green lens on the sides. To keep the lantern in
original condition, he made a simple lamp from walnut (cut from one of the
trees on his farm, airdried and dressed several years later.) Base is 2"X
8"X12" and placed a 3" post about 14" tall, off centered to allow the
lantern bolted onto the front of the post to be all centered when put
together. The post was drilled through and the light and harp mounted on top
of the post for the shade. While on one of the visits to see him before he
passed away, he told me that he built the lamp that way to keep it original
instead of drilling it and wiring it for electric.
He also talked with me at that time about remembering me using that lantern
on a go-cart we had build together from a lawnmower engine and wood . The
lamp sits on my dresser in the bedroom and reminds me of my father and early
life at home with him.
HomeOwnersHub.com is a website for homeowners and building and maintenance pros. It is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here.
All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.