H. Disston & Sons

I have come into possession of a H. Disston & Sons ripsaw made somewhere between 1896 and 1917 based upon the medallion. It isn't worth a fortune or anything from what research I've done, but I like to clean it up, preserve it, and hang it in my shop. Any suggestions on cleaners to remove surface rust and what appears to some white paint from sawing painted boards.

Reply to
asmurff

Tue, Apr 1, 2008, 6:58pm (EDT-2) snipped-for-privacy@cableone.net (asmurff) doth claimeth: I have come into possession of a H. Disston & Sons ripsaw made somewhere between 1896 and 1917 based upon the medallion. It isn't worth a fortune or anything from what research I've done, but I like to clean it up, preserve it, and hang it in my shop. Any suggestions on cleaners to remove surface rust and what appears to some white paint from sawing painted boards.

Hang it up? I'd say if you aren't going to use it, you don't deserve to have it - sell,, or give, it to someone that will use it.

JOAT

10 Out Of 10 Terrorists Prefer Hillary For President - Bumper Sticker I do not have a problem with a woman president - except for Hillary.
Reply to
J T

You can do a lot ot make those old beaters look like world beaters.

If you will just hook up with the Old Tools Galoots, at

and search the archives, you'll find more than you want to know about cleaning and rejuvinating (and using) old saws. Several tutorials there.

I've discovered what a pure joy it is to saw with a SHARP saw. Goes fast and straight.

You might find that you'd like to take it off the wall and use it occasionally.

I've done about 10 or so.

Good Luck,

Old Guy

Reply to
Old Guy

Old Guy wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@m71g2000hse.googlegroups.com:

*snip*

*snip*

Many times as I'm cutting something with my sharp saw, I've been tempted to post a gloat here that says "I have a sharp saw, and I sharpened it myself!"

Puckdropper

Reply to
Puckdropper

After you get through sharpening it and setting the teeth properly (actually vice versa), I like to take a sewing needle and show people how it will slide down the teeth and won't fall off until it gets to the end of the saw.

Reply to
Robert Allison

I bet if you sharpened it and used it regularly for a year it's get cleaned up purty like...

Reply to
Dave Balderstone

Many times I look at my polished/refinished formerly rusty 60 plus yr. old Disston saw(from my father-in-law) and remind myself I still haven't got the right size file to sharpen the dang thing......kept away from wood it cuts beautifully.....Rod

Reply to
Rod & Betty Jo

?c=1&p=32956&cat=1,43072,43086

Reply to
Upscale

I have my tools to USE, not hang on the wall. I also spend some time making them look good and feel good, because that gives me great pleasure everytime I use them.

Hanging tools on the wall is inferior decorating in my opinion.

Old Guy

Reply to
Old Guy

Ain't it great? I don't need to post, I just gloat right there in my shop.

And amazingly, saw sharpening is easier than chisel sharpening, and takes less equipment!!!

Old Guy

1g2000hse.googlegroups.com:

Reply to
Old Guy

Geez some of you act liked I insulted your sister. The saw I acquired by marriage. It belonged to my step-daughters great-grandfather I wanted to preserve it for her and her children, hopefully I can interest one of them in woodworking and pass the saw on to them. It's not like I was going drill holes to make a clock out of it or paint it funny colors.

I wasn't going to use it because... I have all the good hand saws I need for precise cuts. I have power saws for the bigger jobs. I wish I still had the vigor for ripping a piece of wood by hand, but a bad heart took care of that a long time ago.

Old Guy thanks for the link it had precisely the information I wanted.

And I do deserve it JT I'm not some silly-ass collector I know how to use ever tool I own. This won't be the first one I've hung up because I wanted to make sure it was around for the next generation or so.

Reply to
asmurff

Thanks Upscale, I placed an order this morning for the file I need.

Reply to
asmurff

Electrolysis (search this newsgroup), although it's awkward on saws and works best on cast iron. However abrasives will damage any mark that's still on the side of the blade.

Fine wire wool probably will feature in it somewhere though. Let's not get too precious about things. Then apply a hard wax polish (furniture _finishing_ wax, not furniture polish).

Web searching should give you the rest. Buy a new sawfile (Lee Valley et al) and keep it for sharpening at first. Buy an old sawset (eBbay). Make a plywood sharpening clamp to go into a vice.

Disston made excellent saws (before the '70s anyway) and if there's still good depth to the blade, treat it as a cherished user. Doesn't mean you can't display it in the meantime though (my logging saws live tied to the side of my staircase). Disston's rip saws were particularly good, especially the thumbhole handle.

Reply to
Andy Dingley

snipped-for-privacy@webtv.net (J T) wrote in news:23155-47F2E47A-266@storefull-

3336.bay.webtv.net:

More genius advice...

Reply to
jbd in Denver

Old Guy wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@x41g2000hsb.googlegroups.com:

I hang my tools on the wall. It keeps them up and off my workbench.

Puckdropper

Reply to
Puckdropper