Does fresh epoxy stick to dried epoxy?

Absolutely!

Dave

Icepick wrote:

Reply to
David

Reply to
Icepick

But it's a good idea to sand the surface of the old epoxy first. That will remove any amine blush and roughing the surface will also give the new epoxy a bit of bite.

Mike

Reply to
Michael Daly

RE: Subject

If you lay new resin on resin that is less than 24 hours, no problems.

If you wait past 24 hours, the existing resin may develop an amine blush which is easily removed with a ScotchBrite pad and water.

I always sand the old resin with a 24 grit disk before laying new resin on top of old.

HTH

Lew

Reply to
Lew Hodgett

Though of course... epoxy does not dry, it hardens.

Reply to
toller

True; but I knew what meant. :)

Dave

toller wrote:

Reply to
David

I roughed it up quite a bit before re-epoxing so the epoxy should bond alright... I hope ;-)

Epoxy is great stuff . I was w> RE: Subject

Reply to
Icepick

Not that I'm aware of.

Lew

Reply to
Lew Hodgett

In addition to these, there are many non-toxic epoxy coatings.

Adhesive A two-component, low-viscosity EP48 epoxy has high strength and good electrical insulation properties. It can be used to seal and coat metallic and nonmetallic substrates and conforms to Title 21, U.S. Code of Federal Regulations, FDA Chapter 1, Section 175-105 and 173.300 for food applications. The epoxy has a 100:75 mix ratio and is 100% reactive. It resists chemicals and prolonged submersion in water, dilute acids, alkalines, aggressive organic solvents, ethanol, isopropanol, mineral spirits, and gasoline. EP48 has a Shore-D hardness of 70+ and a tensile strength of 5 kpsi. It is available in pint, gallon, and 5-gallon kits.

Masterbond Inc.,

154 Hobart St., Hackensack, NJ 07601, (201) 343-8983, masterbond.com
Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

Uncured, amine hardener based epoxies are definitely toxic.

Cured, they are inert.

Lew

Reply to
Lew Hodgett

Years ago I bought an expensive kit of blue epoxy for a GE dishwasher rack. Now I'm wondering if that was a "non-toxic" type of epoxy...

Dave

Edw>>Icepick wrote:

Reply to
David

Seems to have worked fine.

Icepick wrote:

Reply to
Icepick

Though of course... epoxy does not dry, it hardens.

Reply to
toller

deja vu.

Dave