Glue for bathroom ceramic soap dish

Hi All,

The built-in into the wall soap dish in my bathroom broke off. Most of it is still in the wall and it's a clean break, so I'd like to glue it back on.

Are there any glue or epoxy materials, which would stand up to this sort of application.

Thanks Much,

Richk

Reply to
RichK

Slow-set epoxy might work. Do not use 5-minute epoxy or Super Glue.

I assume there's not enough gap to use latex-modified grout or mortar to cement it back in.

Bob

Reply to
zxcvbob

If the break is visible, then clear superglue or a ceramic glue or clear epoxy might work. If parts of it are not visible, then get some gas tank epoxy from the autoparts store and use it. It sets up under water and can withstand oil and gas. And it will last forever.

Reply to
DK

The break is clean and visible. The parts fit perfectly, so thin film of blue or epoxy would be the best.

I've read in this group about some material that was particularly good, but have not saved the post. It was several months ago.

Regards,

RichK

Reply to
RichK

I have had good luck in somewhat similar circumstances (e.g., ceramic serving dishes) using two-part epoxy. However, it doesn't set up right away -- sometimes the main problem is figuring out a way to keep the work in place til the glue sets. Maybe lean a board against it.

Reply to
Heathcliff

Happened to me--a nice diagnal break from inner to an outer corner. It's been about 3 years now and the fix has held up. In fact, it's almost an invisible repair. I used PhenoSeal, a caulking adhesive that seems to work on anything (can get it at Home Depot). What I also did was to cement , same adhesive, two paper clips underneath across the split line. Supported the broken piece (used duct tape) to the wall and let everything stay for a day or so. I imagine that you can use an epoxy or any other adhesive with the same result because I think the key to the repair was the paper clips. It added extra strength in supporting the two pieces together. Good luck MLD

Reply to
MLD

Go to HomeDepot and get the grout, adhesive thinset in a quart tub. Clean out the debris to the substrate, install the adhesive, put the new soap dish in the pocket, use tape (duct tape) to hold it in place until it sets. Grout and you will have a professional installation.

-Lee

Reply to
flb51notthis

Any clear epoxy will do fine. Wipe it off well after everything is positioned, and you won't be able to see the crack probebly.

Bob

Reply to
Bob F

Actually, someone put their full weight on the soap dish and it broke. After you glue it, they will do it again and likely cut themselves on the sharp edge you repaired. No. You need to chisel out the cracked part and replace with a newer stonger properly mounted soap dish.

Reply to
DK