Window Leaking - Help!

Dear group,

The top of my window is leaking water into my bedroom. I know that I will need to caulk it, and I have caulk, however, I live in a very rainy area and it's the rainy season. What should I do to create a relatively dry environment for the caulking to even try to dry out? If anything, trying to protect it from the outside would be extremely difficult, as it is a third story window.

Thank you for your time,

ps. Also consider I am a novice to home repairs.

Reply to
aloyola

Consider that if you merely plug the leak on the inside, you guarantee some soggy wood; kinda limits your options. You really want to stop it at the source.

To do that you need to find the gap where the water is entering, and why. Could be trim or flashing missing, glazing probs, whatever. Deal with that, and you have a "fix." With luck, you might even be able to do that from inside, but don't count on it.

You might want to consult with a professional. Who might be able to help you forestall similar probs elsewhere.

J.

Reply to
barry

My son had a situation where melting snow was filling basement window well with water and it was leaking around window into basement. I gave him a container of plumber's putty and told him to apply to outside. Provided temporary solution.

Frank

Reply to
Frank

Call the landlord.

Reply to
Lawrence

Acetone will accelerate drying damp conditions.

I would think that water leaking into your home from the window is not the real problem. Caulking might help, but some thing else needs to be addressed. If you have siding, the top of the window should have a flashing of some type. A "Z" type of head flashing or some membrane should have been installed before the siding. FWIW

-Lee

Reply to
flb51notthis

I just helped a neighbor solve this problem. The solution involved removing the wood trim around the outside of the window, cutting away the siding above the trim, inserting flashing under the tarpaper behind the siding, and more tarpaper behind that, and installing new trim with the flashing then being bent down over the top. Problem solved.

Bob

Reply to
Bob F