Leaking Window (or around window)

Hi all,

We've had a problem with our spare room window for some time, in that it leaks when it rains. I've attempted to solve the problem by raking out the mortar from below the frame and around it and filling with expanding foam but with no success.

I've posted some pictures on my website and would appreciate if anyone can take the time to have a look and see if they can spot anything that would be causing this or suggest anything else I need to look at.

You'll see from the indoor pictures the extent of the leak - I've also taken some from outside.

Pics are here:

in advance, Richard.

Reply to
Richard Conway

be outside.

I would have a gander outside and check the condition of the cill, it's slope, sealing with the window and if it has a drip-rail/slot.

Reply to
Fredxx

There are some from outside! Maybe there's a second page of pictures you missed? The slope seems adequate and there is a drip groove underneath which seems a littly clogged up with mortar at one end but I'm not sure how much affect that would have - especially as it appears to be leaking all the way along.

Reply to
Richard Conway

The vertical decor strips on the outside of the window are not sealed to the frame with mastic leaving a gap for water ingress. This would then run down and might find its way through. I would seal these gaps first.

Reply to
Bob Mannix

Ah - didn't spot them!! As you say it all seems in order, perhaps apart from the mess between the cill and the frame!

Reply to
Fredxx

Almost all of those pictures show the bottom of the window and the outside window cill, when it's highly likely that the water ingress is occuring higher up, much higher up. Possibly the opening light rubber seals have given way? Maybe the window sides aren't sealed to the brickwork? Ditto the top of the frame?

Maybe even the water is coming down the cavity above the frame and dripping through near the lintel.

What you need to do is get someone to go outside with a hosepipe and spray it while you stay inside and watch for leaks.

Work upwards from the cill and tell them to stop once you see where it's coming in - don't start at the top because there may be more than one leak and at different heights, IE 14 ins from the cill, then 30 ins, and one or two at the top.....once you've found your first leak, mark it, leave everything to dry and seal up with silicone, then repeat the hosepipe test

Reply to
Phil L

Dear Richard The first thing I would do is not rely on the foam other than as a structurally not significant gap filler and a fix it it mechanism

Go outside and apply polysulphide mastic in accordance with DAS 68 oe

69 from the BRE (ie not a thin film with the thumb but filling up a decent sized recess of greater than 10mm by 10mm or a quadrant bead radius 12mm

Do the hose test advocated so well by another poster get rid of the Carlite finish and refinish it with new plaster

Chris

Reply to
Rad