Guide to future building regulations

Article about upcoming revisions to Parts L, G and F

John Stumbles

More attention on existing stock - i.e. insulate the solid walled houses, now that cavities are being done. The gov needs to start offering grants on exterior insulation of solid wall homes. Many old houses have a big gable wall with no windows that would be ripe for this. Also, they need to stop the disagreements with planning ! Simon.

Reply to
Simon

payback poor though

NT

Reply to
NT

John Stumbles coughed up some electrons that declared:

Mental note - never fill in another BNA after I'm done with the current one!

Reply to
Tim S

Do I remember correctly that it said old buildings will need to be brought upto new insulation standards to be extended? How ever will that work?

NT

Reply to
NT

You have to spend 10% of the extension cost on improvements to the existing.

That is easily achieved by fitting one window with cling-film double glazing from Russ Andrews.

Owain

Reply to
Owain

>If they want more efficient houses, just tax heating fuels and electricity. It seems to work well in the transport area and encourages smaller cars, and reduces unnecessary journeys. The value of houses will then be more proportionate to heating efficiency which will encourage insulation without the need for any grants or subsidies or local government intervention. Don't we currently have the lowest taxation on fuels and electricity in the EU?

Reply to
Fredxx

Thats the point. Nobody will do it without a grant. Simon.

Reply to
Simon

A tax on the poor that cannot afford gas and elctricity never mind pay for energy efficiency schemes to their houses.

Adam

Reply to
ARWadsworth

I've heard about this on a green building forum, but it was interpreted there as requiring improvements to be made to the existing property disregarding what has already been done and I dread the thought - we have already done the easy fixes (cavity wall insulation, fully zoned heating, loft insulation) and have double glazing throughout; we cannot afford to extend at the moment, but with three young kids we will have to in the future. When we come round to it, we'll be scrimping and saving every penny we can to afford it and with the easy fixes done only more marginal and expensive ones will be possible, so to make improvements to the original house will either put the whole project out of our financial reach or force us to reduce the scale of the extension to one that is sub-optimal for our family.

SteveW

Reply to
Steve Walker

I quite agree that few will do it without a grant. But I'm not clear why you think "The gov needs to start offering grants on exterior insulation of solid wall homes." I guess I dont see the point.

Perhaps you mean a grant for the insulation panels alone, making it an attractive choice only when rerendering is already being undertaken.

NT

Reply to
NT

One problem with film dg is it often causes condensation, which then starts rotting the frame. Taking the frame repair cost into account the end result is then greater energy and money loss.

NT

Reply to
NT

Yes... we already have a raft of such measures in place in the BR. By ignoring BR one can build decent housing at around a quarter the cost. Sadly its not generally permitted in Britain.

NT

Reply to
NT

The oxygen-free variety has been found to be demonstrably better though...

Reply to
Geo

In which case subsidise them: then its up to them whether they save money by investing in insulation, or not.

We have no choice at the moment: its take what the government gives you back out of taxes it takes (inefficiently) or get nothing.

Democracy consists in giving the money to the people, and letting them excercise their choices: If they want to subsidise fair trade bananas, let them.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Steve Walker coughed up some electrons that declared:

The answer might be to "start" now. Once started, IIRC, the plans remain fixed to the current regs.

Can anyone confirm the ins and outs of this, WRT to planning. I know that WRT building regs, once started, there is no onus to complete in any finite time frame.

Not sure about planning. You also need a definition of "start" but I believe it can be quite minimal, like digging the trench for the foundations of something...

Worth getting verification that I'm right, before relying on it but it's an idea...

Cheers

Tim

Reply to
Tim S

NT coughed up some electrons that declared:

It'll give the loft spray foam guys a new angle - just come and bury your house in foam from the outside until it looks like an igloo. Cut holes for windows and door.

Reply to
Tim S

That idea has been dropped. I guess the industry said that it would put people off extending. Must have been, they are the only people this government listens to. Not that I'm against improving energy efficiency. Far from it. Just that when you are finding money for an extension is not the time to be forced to do it.

Peter Scott

Reply to
Peter Scott

Well doh, you remove the clingfilm once the inspector's gone ...

Owain

Reply to
Owain

No, no....the gold coating stops the condensation. And the titanium screws stop the rot.

Reply to
Bob Eager