Difference between Toning, Staining and Shading

I am getting ready to finish my home bar and I want to do some highlighting and shading. I read how the first think to do is to even out the tone of all the wood. What are they referring to and what do they use to even out the tone. I Have done several projects and they all came out good but I want this one to be the best. The ones I have done are on my web site.

Any help would be appreciated. Do you know of any good books on the subject.

Reply to
Howard

Hello, Howard.

The techniques involved in all of the above take practice and dedication to make them look presentable. Any nitwit can slather on stains and glazes in different amounts to show dimension, but true accenting is different.

I would start with any books from Dresdner

Flexner

Jewitt

get the ball rolling. There are other good books out there as well, and all of those guys have more than one out.

As far as shading and toning go, you should look into the great stuff some of the luthiers are doing. A three toned sunburst guitar is a thing of beauty, and some of those guys are real masters at designing and creating those finishes.

The basics of the guitar wood coloration (for the purists, I did not say finishing) is no different than any other wood that you shade, tone and stain, etc.

Robert

Reply to
nailshooter41

I did finish the bar and got some of the best results that I have ever had. I dont do this for a living so the finishing has been my achieles heel. Photos of the finished bar are at

Howard