Delta BS150LS ?

My local Lowes has a Delta BS150LS 10" band saw (new in box) being cleared out for $127. Its a Shopmaster 2-wheel unit, and looks similar to the more common 9" model, but has a larger motor, a 7" resaw capacity (and obviously slightly larger wheels).

I thought it might fit my needs for an inexpensive, small saw, but I don't want to buy it unless it performs well for its size and price point (in other words, a reasonable bargain). So I went to look it up.

I can find no information at all, anywhere, for this unit. Google comes up empty! (don't see that often).

Has anyone come across this unit? Any usability comments?

TIA,

/rick.

Reply to
RickS

Most saws in that size/price range are a step up from a toy. It may have

7" capacity, but the chances of re-sawing a piece of hard maple that is 7" wide and having it come out accurately are slim.

Want to cut big sticks to small sticks? It is a good deal. Want to make walnut veneer? Don't even think about it. I don't know your needs so I don't know if it will suite you. Ed

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

Gee, since all tools are toys, I guess this is a good thing.

I would not use it as a resaw tool. The 7" capacity (compared to the 3.5" of the nine-inch saw), just might come in handy on occasion.

I would want to keep this saw fitted with a small blade (3/16 - 1/4) for working curves. A larger saw (say an 18" Jet, which I do not have yet, BTW) would have a larger blade (3/4 - 1") for straight stuff (including resawing).

So I was really wondering whether the subject saw would be satisfactory as the shop's "small saw"; or whether it is a POS and would never be pleasant to use.

/rick.

Reply to
RickS

I had an 8", which I sold to someone on this newsgroup.

My 8" worked great for cutting the thin ply, balsa, basswood, and spruce for constructing radio control airplanes. It also cut foam rubber very nicely, for custom carry cases and installing radio gear in the craft.

That said, it was very underpowered and barely suitable for typical woodworking, with a 1/3 HP motor. The blade guide and drive system was not as accurate as larger machines and everything flexed when cutting hardwoods and thicker plywoods. The table of the small machine was not adequate to support typical furniture or cabinetry parts.

I'd look for a used 14" model. I think you'd be better served with a good hand held jig saw or the ol' standby, a coping saw for "real" woodworking, rather than the small band saw.

Barry

Reply to
B a r r y