replace rubber on delta band saw?

Hi I just bought an old delta 14" band saw for $100. I will let you know in a couple of weeks if I get to gloat.

2 questions

how do I know when it is time to replace the rubber on the wheels?

How hard is that.

Okay one more. This band saw looks to be 30-or forty years old. (Used in a school I think.) How much has delta improved this machine since then.

thanks

russ

Reply to
russ

russ asks:

Delta has not improved that saw since then, IMO.

Replacing the tire (rubber) is a sort of nuisance job that is needed when you can't get the blades to track properly and all else is working well.

The hardest part is stretching the tire to get it on the rim. As a former motorcycle rider, I like to use motorcycle tire irons to do the job.

Charlie Self "The test and the use of man's education is that he finds pleasure in the exercise of his mind." Jacques Barzun

Reply to
Charlie Self

Reply to
nospambob

Actually Russ, and don't take this the wrong way but, you don't need to wait to gloat. On the other hand, if you report back in a couple/few and yell us you've failed, well, you really might need to turn back your credentials for being a man. No really, it's that easy.

Well, I just woke up... OK, we really don't need to go there. Oh! You meant how hard is it to change out the tires. If you visit the OWWM you'll find articles on band saws and if memory serves me you'll find Bob Vaughn's article on changing out the tires and tuning a band saw. He might give a little more info than you'll find here.

Okay one more. This band saw looks to be 30-or forty years old.

They (Delta) have hinged the wheel covers. I suspect that any other changes were/are value engineering stuff like changing the upper guide post from hexagonal to round and that sort of thing. Basically the saw you have is pretty close to being like the saw today which is pretty close to being like the saw as it was re-introduced back in the mid/late 30's.

Now, you say it's 30 years old? I'll be willing to wager that the saw is older than that. Just call it a hunch.

UA100

Reply to
Unisaw A100

Reply to
Dave W

Hair dryer would get 'em warm but not wet. They're not women, you know....

Reply to
George

unless it has something *very* wrong with it, you already did.

yeah, right....

you can get a parts breakdown for your saw from here:

bridger

Just an FYI- I acquired an old Delta 14" metal cutting bandsaw a few years back, called Delta with the serial number, and they sent me copies of the parts lists & manual. Told me it was made in 1946.

I got mine for free, missing a few parts. Cost me about $100 for the parts, and it's served me quite well.

Reply to
Steve L

Once again great responses.

Thanks

You are right I did try and sneak in a little underhanded gloat there.

I am in this saw so right that I am going to start by putting a few more bucks into it... timberwolf blades, rubber for the wheels, maybe guids and maybe a riser.

I wonder is there a measurable differance between types of wheel covering?

Reply to
russ