Delta Announcement

04/01/2004 JACKSON, Tenn. (Reuters) - In a surprising move for the normally adult-focused woodworking industry, market leader Delta Machinery today announced their sponsorship of the hit children's program Bob the Builder. "Today, Delta Machinery takes a significant step forward in our efforts to introduce the pleasures of woodworking and construction to a younger age group", said Delta spokesperson Mark Sawyer. When asked how Delta thought it could profit from its sponsorship given that the Nick Jr. network does not run commercials, Mr. Sawyer revealed, "The tools and machinery that Bob uses in future episodes will include a tastefully prominent Delta logo and will, to the extent allowed by the Claymation technology, resemble actual Delta products. Extensive analysis by our MBAs of our sponsorship of Norm Abrams and the New Yankee Workshop reveals that we have effectively sewn up the adult couch-potato segment of the woodworking tool buying market. Through our sponsorship of Bob the Builder we hope to make significant inroads into the developing woodworker segment, building name and product recognition among the critical 4 to 6 year-old demographic."

The sponsorship seems to have been in doubt right up to the last days of negotiation. "We did have a stiff competitor in the bidding for the sponsorship", admitted Mr. Sawyer, "I understand their position to have been that their bright yellow tool colours would better fit the cheerful palette of the show. In the end, however we were able to point out that the actual colors used for the tools on the show did not matter, as the end user might end up painting their tools yellow anyway. It was the logo and shape that was truly important to us."

In conjunction with the sponsorship, Delta also introduced a new line of floor-standing power tools aimed at fans of the show. "We feel it is important to provide size appropriate tools to all possible consumers, regardless of their age," commented Mr. Sawyer. The new line includes a

5-inch table saw, 6-inch planer and 3-inch joiner all of which are conveniently powered by D-cell batteries and which develop approximately 1-horsepower each by utilizing power magnification technology previously associated only with hand-held routers.

About Delta Machinery Headquartered in Jackson, Tenn., Delta Machinery, a subsidiary of Pentair Inc. (NYSE: PNR), is the leading manufacturer of the world's most complete line of woodworking machinery, stationary equipment, and related accessories for use in home workshops, building and construction trades, industry and schools. Delta Machinery owns and operates a subsidiary, Biesemeyer, located in Mesa, Ariz. For more information, visit the Delta Machinery Web site at

However, do not expect to find a copy of this press release there.

Reply to
News Maven

SwampBug

Damn, they know all about JOAT.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

I looked around the shop; but couldn't find any yellow paint. I suppose my drab ol' unisauer will have to stay that way...

Reply to
Morris Dovey

Yep, it's the first of April :-).

Reply to