custom hinges

anyone ever had custom hinges made

i would guess it might be expensive but if a shop is setup to do that and does it often it might no be too bad on price

Reply to
Electric Comet

Why bother asking? You seem to have all of the answers to any questions asked here. Just ask yourself for the answer.

Reply to
Mike Marlow

Electric Comet wrote in news:njpvi1$epd$2 @dont-email.me:

Sure, a quick and dirty method is to take two nails and put them on either side of a piece of wood. You can then either rest the nails on more nails, or nail through pieces of wood on the side.

Why do you want custom hinges? If you can't solve your problem with a commercial hinge, you need to rethink your design.

That being said, you could probably have a machine shop make or modify a hinge to fit your design. No idea how much it would cost, but chances are there will be a fee for putting your design into a format they can work with as well as actually doing the cutting.

Puckdropper

Reply to
Puckdropper

No, not had them made, but made them myself....

.... and it wasn't expensive. Made the mailbox and door knob/faceplate, also.

Sonny

Reply to
Sonny

Why? The availability of hinge options is staggering. Seriously.

Why not describe your problem and let somebody here with more product familiarity point you towards a product that will drop into your application.

Post twenty-seven 8 x 10 colored glossy photographs with circles and arrows and a paragraph on the back of each one explainin' what each one was,

Its gotta be cheaper than having a custom hinge made. And yes, I suppose I could make a custom hinge if I was so inclined. I make a lot of other stuffeses.

Reply to
Bob La Londe

"Bob La Londe" wrote in news:njqkag$9f9$ snipped-for-privacy@dont-email.me:

I've been thinking about it... At it's core all a hinge is is a pin and a hole. The pin must be able to rotate in the hole, but can't rotate too freely. (Most house door hinges work by having the hole rotate around the pin.)

If I wanted custom hinges, I'd probably look for a commercial one that had the boring bits already done and modify it. Once I put the design in a format the CNC understands, I can make copies all day.

Puckdropper

Reply to
Puckdropper

not as staggering as my imagination i guess

doing special one offs is what i like to do

sometimes i get lucky and find what i want off the shelf

i may make my own this time from some other generic hinge

Reply to
Electric Comet