Craftsman Hand Tools

Does anyone know who makes Craftsman hand tools - i.e. wrenches and socket sets, etc. Do they manufactur them or re-brand another mfg's product. The packages all say "Made in the USA".

Reply to
James Stewart

The sockets are made by Danaher. I'm not sure about the wrenches. With that said, I've been very unhappy with both.

Reply to
AL

Sears is a retailer, not a manufacturer. The three-digit prefix before the model number on each Sears-branded item indicates who made it. Here's a list of the codes:

kkfitzge

Reply to
John DeBoo

the model numbers on many of the tools that I refered to begin with 943 or

094 or 43.. depending on how you read their numbers (ie. a 3/8" 1/2" 6 point socket carries the Sears item number of #0944055 and the mfg number #44055. This does not correspond to any number on that web page.
Reply to
James Stewart

I didn't ask if you were happy with them, just who made them.

Reply to
James Stewart

Several years ago I got tired of paying premium for Sears hand tools. Knowing Master Mechanic carried the same lifetime warranty, I picked up a set of 3/8 and 1/4 drive tools at a hardware store and mentioned Sears pricing. The owner, a long time neighborhood store operator, said he had sockets marked "craftsman" show up among the Master Mechanic sockets.

RonB

Reply to
RonB

a faux pas? or clever marketing?

Reply to
James Stewart

John,

I have to agree with Al on this one. Craftsman hand tools are junk. I used to think they were good too until I used some Mac and Snap-On hand tools. Believe me, there IS a difference.

The Craftsman guarantee doesn't help much when you loose an hour to return and replace the broken tool. $40 lost wages to replace a $10-$20 tool doesn't make sense.

R.C.

Reply to
Richard Cranium

I think you'll find that the first number you listed is the second number (which is actually the catalog number of the item) plus the preceding "09" which denotes the department number (Sears' Hardware/Tools is department 9).

I'm not sure where you can find the manufacturer number on the smaller, card mounted tools (individual sockets, for example). It might be on the card, but in any event, the Sears format for whole model numbers (not just the five digit catalog number you referred to) is xxx.xxxxxx, where the first three digits are the manufacturer, the period separates the fields, and the last several digits (could be five, six, or even seven) is the catalog number.

Reply to
LRod

Um like the Mac, Matco, or Snap-On truck is going to be on the spot when you break one of their tools? I admit the more expensive tools feel better when turning wrenches all day long but if you get the better polished Craftsman you would have a hard time telling the difference.

Reply to
Leon

As an ex professional mechanic, I will say I hate snap simply for their high polish, slippery tools. If you work with your hands all day, you could about grab a cactus without problems. Last thing you need is something slippery. I like ratchets and breaker bars with big sharp knurling and wrenches with a large, fat cross section. Snap-On ratchets have those small, slick handles and their wrenches are thin and oval. Great designs to slip and hurt yourself. Alright for working on cars I guess where you really don't have to put much effort into anything but lousy for the big stuff.

Reply to
CW

CW.. You are not suppose to apply pressure to the polished wrenches. You are suppose to use an air-ratchet on the other side to do the work. LOL.

Reply to
Leon

You'll usually have to look at the actual product or packaging for the prefix. I've never been able to find it in catalogs or on the web.

Reply to
kkfitzge

Got that one bookmarked and am looking forward to checking some of the shop tools!

mac

Please remove splinters before emailing

Reply to
mac davis

Reply to
John DeBoo

I'm not saying the Mac or the Snap-On truck is always there. What I am saying is that their tools break far less often.

As an example: I tried to break loose the rusted phillips head screws on some trim moulding by holding the screw driver in the screw head and hitting the screw driver handle with a hammer. The first attempt ruined the Craftsman screw driver. Another mechanic loaned me his Snap-On. I finished the job with his screw driver and it still looked as good as it did when he loaned it to me. I never bought another Craftsman tool since

Your mileage may vary.

R.C.

Reply to
Richard Cranium

Craftsman Phillips head screwdrivers are the worst. I was never able to use one for more than a half dozen screws (sometimes fewer) before it was significantly degraded.

The first time I put a Klein on a screw I knew I had to buy a whole new series of screwdrivers (a not insignificant task--I have screwdriver sets in the shop, in the garage, in the computer room, in the Explorer, in my electrical pouch, in my geek--TV/phone--bucket, in my tower climbing belt, and in the radio room).

Reply to
LRod

The only Craftsman tools I own are over 25 years old. When my father passed on last year, his oldr Craftsman, Williams,Fairmount, and Thorsan tools added to my own. Afterspending a fews, ok a few weeks, sorting all them out, all the Tiawan, china, kmart crap left over got put into a big box to got the auction house.

Keep all the good stuff, no such thing as to many tool, just not enough storage.

Reply to
nobody

I like the high polish on Snap-on (easy wipe-down) but I agree that they're too slippery. Th ewrnch handles are too oval, not flattened enough to stop them rotating in your hand. My sockets are Snap-on, but the ratchets and wrenches are Facom.

Reply to
Andy Dingley