CPOworkshop.com Experience

There's another illustration of why it's important to draw the picture... so you don't make screw-ups like that!!! To my credit, the

2by4's are drawn 1.5" by 3.5"...

Bil

Reply to
Bill

---------------------------------------- Once again a mountain out of a mole hill.

Consider the following:

3 Pcs, 1-1/2" x 7-1/2 x 31-1/2 (Cut from a 2x8x96")

2 Pcs, 1-1/2" x 3-1/2 x 31-1/2 (Cut from a 2x4x96")

2 Pcs, 1-1/2" x 3-1/2 x 29-1/2 (Cut from a 2x4x96")

Assemble in a 31-1/2 x 29-1/2 configuration with 3" deck screws grinding off a deck screw tips that break thru.

Mount a 1/2-13 Tee nut in each corner adding a 1/2-13 x 3" carriage bolt and hex nut to lock bolt in place.

These will serve as adjustable mounting feet.

Add 1/2-13 Tee nuts as req'd to secure drill press foot plate with

1/2-13 hex head bolts and washers to the wood base.

Want to move drill press?

Grab 2 wheel moving dolly you all ready have to take the trash cans to the curb and you're in business.

Don't have a dolly yet?

Get one.

Less than $30 and it will save your back

Lew

Reply to
Lew Hodgett

I would put the wheels inside the rails, not outside, your ankles will thank you if you do that.

Reply to
J. Clarke

"Bill" wrote

Depending where you buy your lumber, those dimensions may not be all that accurate. I measure each board to insure the sizes are consistent. It is amazing the variation of sizes in a stack of 2 X 6's.

Of course, if you are going to rip them, it won't be a problem. It did not used to be this way. Now every manufacturer/retailer is a liar.

Reply to
Lee Michaels

The one who sold the contractor the lumber to build my house sure was. Went to replace a floor joist and was surprised when a 2x8 wouldn't fit-- it turned out to be 1-1/2 x 7. And built in the '60s so can't blame antiquity (although the '60s being the '60s one _could_ blame altered states of consciousness).

Reply to
J. Clarke

They should all start out the same size from the same manufacturer.

Lumber shinks differently as it dries.

I have a huge dip in my great room floor. WHen laying the hardwood I went to the basement and laid a level across three joist...all about level. Then I measured the width of the lumber and found 11.25 down to 10.625" right beside each other. Two years old. GRRRRRR.... They all started out the same from the same supplier.

In the 60's wood sizes were changing to consistant dimensions. Not sure when it actually happened bu the slide from actual 2x4 took many years.

Reply to
Josepi

Hell, it'd be much easier to have him lag a pair of 3' long tubafores to the base through the provided holes. One tubafore, 4 lags, 4 washers, and Bob's yer uncle.

HAND TRUCK. (corrected your spelling, Lew) This is a dolly:

Get one.

Seconded. Buy a pneumatic-tired job. They're good for 600# and you can easily take things up and down stairs with them GENTLY. I have this one and just got some metal cut for fenders:

wish I'd bought this one, with 13" wheels:
The thing speakers stand -on- is a podium. A LECTERN is what they stand -at- to speak.

-- You and I have a rendezvous with destiny. We will preserve for our children this, the last best hope of man on Earth, or we will sentence them to take the last step into a thousand years of darkness.? -- Ronald Reagan

Reply to
Larry Jaques

I think that's a good suggestion. I like decreasing it's foot print's width by 12" too! Thank you!

Bill

Reply to
Bill

I think this is about the last version in case anyone would care to see the pictures (3). This version is more streamlined--maybe I'll leave the "license plate"... lol!

Bill wrote:

Reply to
Bill

Final dimensions? (all 3, please)

I'da lagged on two tubafores and slid it on a metal sheet when I needed to move it. Or eyebolted the 2x4s and slid it on those.

-- You and I have a rendezvous with destiny. We will preserve for our children this, the last best hope of man on Earth, or we will sentence them to take the last step into a thousand years of darkness.? -- Ronald Reagan

Reply to
Larry Jaques

Anything outside the leveling bolts (or casters when they're up) is wasted (and something more to trip over). I'd use something like this...

or -
close to the corners as possible.

Reply to
krw

Good point. Thanks!

Reply to
Bill

swivel castors (I just grabbed the first think I could find from the "SketchUp Warehouse" for the diagram).

37.5" x 30" x 6 1/4" including lug "feet" (I'm over 6' tall).

I was tempted by the fancy "Nut Levelers" krw wmentioned (which have

1.5" flexible bases) over the primitive "hex nut feet" (found on the end of a standard 1/2" bolt). However the latter have nothing to break or wear out.

Similarly, on the "Corner Bracklet Levelers" krw mentioned. They would seem to be great until their connecting screws need to be tightened--and then, if you'll pardon the pun, you're screwed (because the frame on this will not be easily accessible. In my experience, screws of that nature, even on some of my chairs, get loose.

Both of thse pieces of hardware are very interesting though--I am glad to learn of them! If the "hex nut feet" have shortcomings in performance, maybe they can be be overcome with appropriate castors or the like. The difference, compared to the corner bracket levelers, at least, is the accessibility.

Bill

Reply to
Bill

Larry, I'm not sure what you mean by no 'O'. Am I overlooking something?

Bill

Reply to
Bill

Actually, these were the ones I was thinking about (kinda expensive though):

advantage is that the screws aren't taking weight. You worry too much.

You didn't understand the product. You drill a hole through the top surface. The screw heads (hex or slotted, depending on the device) are then exposed. This is great for uneven floors, as garages tend to be.

The idea of the corner brackets is to get the feet as close to the corners as possible. In your drawing they're too close to the center. Is I mentioned, any of the base hanging over the feet is worse than useless. Get the feet as close to the corners as possible (i.e. make the base as small as possible).

Reply to
krw

Okay, I got it now. I didn't realize the intent to drill through to the top. Only 3/8" diameter. Interesting product, priced well. You suggested I worry too much but I think it's worth worrying about dust jamming the hole/nut, x4.

Yep, I agree. They should, and will, be moved closer to the corners. Thanks!

Bill

Reply to
Bill

Nah, a screwdriver will clean that out in short order. ;-) Sawdust won't build up in the corner levelers. It'll just fall through to the (open) bottom. The others might have a problem with sawdust clogging the holes.

Reply to
krw

Not really an issue. My table saw and my radial arm saw both have adjustments that one performes by turning Allen screws recessed into the tables. While they get full of dust, the shop vac or dust collector will pull it right out. On rare occasions I have to take an awl and pry a chip out.

Reply to
J. Clarke

Neeeeeee! "Castor" is an oil. "Casters" are wheeled things. Don't screw up again or I'll say "shrubbery" again.

Holy bassetball players, Batman! That's not a baseboard, it's a bloody cabinet!

So leave the outer boards quickly removable for access.

Shrubbery!

-- You and I have a rendezvous with destiny. We will preserve for our children this, the last best hope of man on Earth, or we will sentence them to take the last step into a thousand years of darkness.? -- Ronald Reagan

Reply to
Larry Jaques

Well, it shrunk by 2.5" inches yesterday as I learned my local 2by8s are just 7" wide (and scarcely more than 1 3/8" thick).

BTW, thanks for differentiating castor from caster for me. Looking up the directions online, I almost buried mine! ; )

Bill

Reply to
Bill