circular saw blade parallell-ing

Would like to adjust my porter cable circular saw to make blade perfectly parallel to the saw foot edge. Now it deviates about 3/16 inch over length of the foot. Any ideas on how to do it or where to look for info? Thanks,

Guy

Reply to
Guy McGrane

Most circular saws do not have such an adjustment. It sounds like the saw has been dropped and something got bent. That's a pretty serious deviation you have there. The only cure I know for that is to bend it back or see if you can replace some parts. A Porter Cable repair shop may be able to fix it for you.

Bob

Reply to
Bob

That is bad. They don't come like that. How did it get that way? Hammer on it and see if you can't get it to bend back the way it should be.

-j

On Tue, 30 Nov 2004 22:35:34 -0500, Guy McGrane vaguely proposed a theory ......and in reply I say!:

Daaammmm! I was hoping to hear about a saw that had an adjustable foot! I had the same trouble and used the scientific, hammer, approach.

Reply to
Old Nick

I know of only one circ saw (a DeWalt model) that has an adjustment for blade parallelism. On other saws, you either "adjust" with a hammer, or make a sub-base and trim it parallel to the blade.

Reply to
Kent

I have one. as far as I know, the only one on the market, though I wouldn't be surprised to hear that fein or festo saws did.

mine's a dewalt, and the foot adjustment was the reason I bought it. it's an OK saw, but the foot adjustment is rendered pretty much useless by the fact that the depth adjustment is WAAAY sloppy.

Reply to
bridger

On Wed, 01 Dec 2004 10:42:37 -0700, snipped-for-privacy@all.costs vaguely proposed a theory ......and in reply I say!:

OK. Interesting. Yes Festo et al may have something. But $$

Ya gotta have _something_ to complain about!

Reply to
Old Nick

oh, it's an *OK* saw. I mean, I haven't thrown it away yet.

I bought it for precision work, and with constant fiddling I use it for that. when it goes, I won't get another. not sure what I will replace it with- I guess I'll cross that bridge when I get to it.

the shoe is anodized aluminum. once the anodizing wears through it leaves black streaks on the wood. if I was using it for framing I wouldn't care, but I use it to cut cabinet grade plywood. waxing the shoe pretty much every time I use it helps, but is a bit of a pain. the adjuster is a good idea- I just wish the rest of the saw was up to it.

Reply to
bridger

Is that a Dewalt 364? That's what I've got. I haven't noticed the depth adjustment being sloppy at all. I haven't used it enough to wear through the anodized base plate. I didn't even know it was anodized. I bought it for the same reason you did. It sure cuts precisely and has plenty of oomph. I haven't used the other Dewalt models or competing major brands like Porter Cable. I graduated from a Sear craftsman. This saw was light years better.

Bob

Reply to
Bob

I'll check the model number.

Reply to
bridger

I have a DeWalt that has an adjustable shoe plate. I think the model is DW364.

Reply to
Lawrence Wasserman