Carved Wooden Threads

Working on half the nut, carving the threads is not easy, nor very successf ul, yet. It took me 30 minutes to carve the one thread. This was too slow of going.

First pic shows a pointed drill bit I used for gouging most of the waste. This bit's point was almost the valley profile needed.

/

Scroll left for two more pics relative to this next paragraph.

It took 2.5 hours to carve the remainder of the threads. The screw aspect tracked well within the threads, but the threads were not nearly deep enou gh. Today I deepened the threads (another 1.5 hours work) and still they a re not deep enough. It will take a good bit more time to get this half nut carved reasonably well.

I'll finish this half and reluctantly carve the other half, but I think I'l l stick to making wheel barrow handles. This thread carving is turning ou t to be quite a chore. I'll definitely further consult with the machinist.

Sonny

Reply to
Sonny

And the mineral oil didn't soak in but about 5/8". You can see the penetration in the pics.... dark vs light wood. Probably needs to soak for a month, at least.

Sonny

Reply to
Sonny

Maybe thin it with mineral spirits would speed it up. Or put under pressure (as in a closed container under pressure).

Reply to
G Ross

Maybe use one of these?

I completely disavow that recommendation and state that any use of said suggestion (which I didn't post) legally triggers the hold harmless clause of this agreement, a clause which will remain in full effect ad infinitum.

Reply to
DerbyDad03

sful, yet. It took me 30 minutes to carve the one thread. This was too sl ow of going.

This bit's point was almost the valley profile needed.

ct tracked well within the threads, but the threads were not nearly deep en ough. Today I deepened the threads (another 1.5 hours work) and still they are not deep enough. It will take a good bit more time to get this half n ut carved reasonably well.

'll stick to making wheel barrow handles. This thread carving is turning out to be quite a chore. I'll definitely further consult with the machinis t.

Truly a labor of love. Or stubbornness.

Reply to
DerbyDad03

Maybe an old pressure cooker and some air fittings.

Reply to
Markem

Or maybe better yet, soak it in mineral spirits only. When working it, keep the surface moist with thinned mineral oil.

Sonny

Reply to
Sonny

A little of both. I liked the caring. My biggest problem was standing fo r long periods. My legs and back can't handle the subsequent/eventual slou ching posture.

I like to finish what I start, so I won't give up just yet. My aim is to f ix that second work table.

Another issue: I made eight 1" square bench dogs for the table that is rep aired, proud of the results. Alas, the dog holes aren't symmetrically cut and my dogs don't fit into all the holes. They were hand cut, but a poor j ob. I've started to trim them more neatly square, better fitting my dogs. I suppose the original cutter was an apprentice in training and/or didn't have a decent (paring?) chisel.

Sonny

Reply to
Sonny