Clamps Heads Up

I just got an e-mail From Woodpeckers. They have a very good deal on Bora parallel clamps. They resemble Bessey k-body clamps.

They are offering a 4 pack of 50" clamps for $119.99

If you need clamps...this is hard to pass up.

Reply to
Leon

$17 shipping for me. That's reasonable considering length and weight.

re: "They resemble Bessey k-body clamps"

Anybody know if there's more to them than just looks? Same quality as Bessys?

Reply to
DerbyDad03

I do not hold Bessy in high reguards in my shop. I have 10 Jorgensen Cabinet Master clamps, 6 Jet, and 7 Besseys.

I reach for the Besseys last.

Besseys are crotchety. They do not do well if glue gets on the bar. They do not slide smoothly with out getting caught and stopping when you are trying to move the clamping end. The screw on the handle is not long enough. I find myself running out of length on the screw handle and almost always have to readjust to gain more travel on the screw handle. The foot on the end of the bar is non-adjustable so if the bar is off the end of the table the foot is worthless. I have dropped all of my clamps, the Besseys are the only ones that have a piece of red plastic break off.

The Jets are better, The foot is adjustable along the length of the bar. The screw handle is too big. I have large hands and find that I cannot grip the handle tight enough for my liking. They have a release lever to quickly slide the adjustment end up and down the bar. For some odd reason the Jets need something between the work and the clamp surface or the clamp surface will imprint the work. Not a problem if you have not yet sanded. A big problem if you have prefinished.

Cabinet Masters are a dream. Glue does not bother the bar but will stain the wood if the bar and wood and glue come in contact with each other. Not a problem as this sands off easily. They slide up and down the bar with eeeeeease. The varnished wooden handles are comfortable, the right size, and do not slip in my sweaty hands. I think Cabinet Masters are the first clamps of this style that the foot was adjustable.

Bora Clamps, I do not know. BUT they do build good tools and if I need more clamps I would be willing to take the gamble. Especially since Besseys would probably cost more than double. And if I had to guess, these would be no worse than Bessey.

Reply to
Leon