Wandering threads.......

One of the things I like about this group is the way threads wander from the original subject in such bizarre ways.

For example, a thread on Beefing up a Deck ends up talking about Allo Allo. A B&Q SDS thread ends up talking about buses. A decking thread finishes with a discussion about apostrophes............

Great innit!

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

Whilst my son was washing his Honda CRX, I was talking to his friend about Architecture and trying to find him holiday work with a firm to help him in future life. No waccy baccy, but responding to the trend!

Reply to
clot

That reminds me, must go and watch tonight's (check apostrophe) Dr. Who!

Reply to
John Rumm

"The Medway Handyman" wrote in news:f3sfak$b3e$ snipped-for-privacy@registered.motzarella.org:

Thread drift is greatly deprecated on _proper_ n/gs.

;)

mike

Reply to
mike

There was a terrible queue on the way to Asda earlier. Maybe people just think the threads you start are boring - or they have a life and want to speak to people that have more than one interest.

Reply to
Ian

Dr Who? Either you are very young or bat for the other side.

Reply to
Ian

But I didn't start all the threads did I ?

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

"The Medway Handyman" wrote in news:f3sss6$d4p$ snipped-for-privacy@registered.motzarella.org:

And the Germans didn't start _all_ the wars!

mike

Reply to
mike

Thread drift is a feature of a well established news group with members knowing something of each others background, likes and dislikes and where any net-nannying tendencies have been squashed:-)

regards

Reply to
Tim Lamb

It's a human condition, try looking up something in an ecyclopaedia without being diverted!

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

And you a journalist. ;-)

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

And you're an idiot, given that I'm 53, most definitely heterosexual and I like Dr Who.

Reply to
Huge

Not any more! I'm now in the Real World of newsgroups ...

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

Cap'n Pugwash with Master Bates and Seaman Stains.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Folklore. There was also supposed to have been Roger the cabin boy.

However, it was Master Mate, Tom the cabin boy and pirates Barnabas and Willy.

Andy Hall

work on it on many occasions. And it was often said by the crew during a recording - 'they'll never get away with that'.

Of course I'd be surprised if all the original recordings still exist, given the nature of the prog and the fact that the BBC destroyed much more prestigious stuff.

It was made in this way.

The complete sound track was pre-recorded elsewhere as effectively a radio play. The Wurmser captions (animated mechanically) were placed on stands in a studio and shot using three ordinary studio cameras which were panned and zoomed (or even tracked in and out) as needed. So a nice gentle day for the sound floor crew - once playback speakers and communications had been rigged there was nothing else to do. ;-)

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Well.... if you listen to the sound clip on the Snopes web site, it is sufficiently muffled to sound questionable.

Reply to
Andy Hall

That's not a function of the original track which was on 1/4" tape at

15ips, but likely from a poor domestic recording.
Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)