Power to shed

Does this sound legal...safe?

i need to get power to my shed, about 25m away. i need it for charging batteries, a flood light or two and a burglar alarm...maybe occasional use of a power tool.

i was thinking of running a 2.5ft&e from the back of the CU in the house, up the wall, then across a catenary wire into the shed with another small CU in there.

does that sound ok? or am better off using single wires and maybe 4mm instead of 2.5? do i need an earthing rod?

cheers for any advice!

Steve

Reply to
R.P.McMurphy

Legal as in what, that term only applies to current Criminal Law. Unless your installation injured someone or caused criminal damage who would ever know? Regulations can be advisory, but not all form part of any Criminal Law statute. I wouldn't use 2.5mm as 25m is a fair distance, get some steel wire armoured cable instead. Maybe 6mm and use that with your consumer unit.

25m is too far for the wire to be suspended, especially when the wind blows! I would put it underground instead.
Reply to
Ian

as Ian says, SWA wuoid be better, and conform to todays regs, but there are lots of existing 2.5T&E installs that do the job ok. >2.5mm would allow more ampacity.

NT

Reply to
meow2222