Bye-bye, chisel!

Got a new range hood for the kitchen. I'm up in the attic trying to run the exhaust vent. There's a 2x6 cleat hanging over the top plate of the wall, that's in the way of running the duct. No prob. I'll just split the excess off with a chisel, right?

So I go down to the workshop... this is a rough carpentry job, so I pick up one of the old beat-up Craftsman chisels and head back to the attic, where I reach through the access door and lay the hammer and chisel down on the board that I had previously laid across the joists, and climb through. As I step on the board, I jostle it slightly... and the chisel rolls off the board, into the soffit above the cabinets, bounces once, and drops seven feet down inside the wall.

Bye, bye.

The irony is that my good chisels have flats on the handles, and won't roll. If I'd used one of those, I'd still have it. :-(

Doug Miller

Get a rare-earth magnet and go fishing!

John

Doug Miller wrote:

Reply to
Eddie Munster

Rare earth magnet on a string and go fishing for the chisel??

John

Reply to
John

magnet. telescoping paint roller handle.

Reply to
bridger

I kind of enjoy finding tools lost in walls, in cement blocks, under cabinets, etc., when I do remodeling... Free Tools! ;-)

John

Reply to
John Grossbohlin

Doug - other than installing, are you doing any of the hood construction?

I'm trying -

Rick

Reply to
pray4surf

Fishing time -- magnet on a string. no problem.

Reply to
Robert Bonomi

On Sun, 21 Nov 2004 09:33:13 +0000, snipped-for-privacy@host122.r-bonomi.com (Robert Bonomi) calmly ranted:

Or if it's fairly inaccessible, a simple drywall surgery session wouldn't take more than half an hour, including location, scalpel session, grafting, texturing, and painting--over the course of a day.

-- Friends Don't Let Friends Eat Turkey and Drive --

Reply to
Larry Jaques

Consider it a 'dorkers version of a Time Capsule.

Reply to
patrick conroy

Some day it'll sell for $2000 on eBay.

Barry

Reply to
Ba r r y

I have a small fortune in collectible old fashioned Budweiser cans in my walls and other out of the way nooks.

No wonder this house was built so poorly.

Reply to
Silvan

I recall cutting through a block wall in my parent's house and finding Schafer beer cans... with can opener punched holes. Must be a 50s-60s thing. ;-)

Reply to
John Grossbohlin

Nope, just installing an off-the-shelf Maytag unit.

You may be more ambitious than I am. What type of skin are you putting over that?

Doug Miller

It is. :-(

No drywall. Plaster. And of course I've already installed the base cabinets on that wall, too.

Doug Miller

Left one of those in our previous house, too... 1" spade drill bit that time.

Doug Miller

While rebuilding our bathtub surround wall I found a '50's-'60's looking plaid cap - not a baseball style, more of a cylindrical shape with a short bill. I examined it and then replaced it where I'd found it - I figured, 'twernt mine to remove.

There was a story this summer here in the Portland, Oregon area about a guy working on the ceiling of his c.1920's dining room. If I recall, he had pulled the ceiling light and had enlarged the hole for some reason. Stuck his head up there to take a look around and came face to face with a human skull. After an investigation and forensic testing, it was determined to be someone from a native NW tribe c.1800's. Perhaps grave robbed and obtained in the days when such acts weren't unlawful. One of the tribes accepted the skull and buried it after a ceremony.

Reply to
Fly-by-Night CC

: >Doug - other than installing, are you doing any of the hood construction? : : Nope, just installing an off-the-shelf Maytag unit. : >

: >I'm trying -

: : You may be more ambitious than I am. What type of skin are you putting over : that? :

1/8" luaun ply followed by 1/4" drywall. - I'm at odds with what to cover the exposed bottom...

Rick

Reply to
pray4surf