Buyding an electric jigsaw... what's a pendulum one?

I'm about to buy a basic jigsaw and I see some are said to be pendulum and others are not. What's the difference? Does it matter?

Many thanks and regards.

Reply to
casioculture

Also, is a variable speed useful? what for, doesn't it just cut? Why would I need more than one speed for cutting? Thanks.

Reply to
casioculture

Cuts much faster on the straights, but doesn't do much good on tight curves.

Variable speed helps getting cuts started and in tricky spots it's useful as well.

-P.

Reply to
Peter Huebner

Sure it just cuts, but you may want different speeds for different blade and material combinations. Jig saws cut more than just wood, they can cut plastic, sheet metal, steel, aluminum, plate, tubing, etc.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

Reply to
Mike Berger