Pendulum Jigsaw Problem

About 18 months ago I bought a Titan (Screwfix) SFJ750XP jigsaw but have hardly used it. Today I am trying to cut some 50mm Xtratherm (aluminium foil faced expanded polystyrene) using a Bosch serrated blade. But the jigsaw seems to have two design problems:

- even with the pendulum action switched off the blade holder can still rock backwards and forwards

- the pendulum guide wheel only loosely encloses the blade Consequently the blade keeps jumping out of the pendulum wheel guide groove and bends to a position about a cm to the side of the guide groove. Everytime this happens the cut moves over about a cm and is not perpendicular to the surface. The jigsaw is unusable. Is this a general problem with pendulum jigsaws - or just Titan? If you have a pendulum jigsaw can you please check if the blade holder is able to move backwards and forwards even with the pendulum action switched off?

thanks, Davy

Reply to
Davy

On Fri, 31 Aug 2007 09:37:22 +0100, "Davy" mused:

Reply to
Lurch

Hi,

Probably the jigsaw, but check the blade is *fully* in so the locking ring snaps back to it's original position.

cheers, Pete.

Reply to
Pete C

Yup. Highly likely.

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

Read the archives of this ng. You'll find a massive concensus that cheap jigsaws just don't work.

Reply to
Andy Dingley

Pete, Its not the blade that moves but the blade holder,

thanks Davy

Reply to
Davy

I see.

If you're in the market for a jigsaw a fairly good one would be a Wickes Pro one made by Kress for =A350:

They're a bit more than the average cheap jigsaw but are made in Switzerland so should be pretty good.

I bougt a fairly good one for =A320 from Lidl a little while ago but I'd expect they're out of stock everywhere now.

cheers, Pete.

Reply to
Pete C