Tiling onto T&G cladding

What's the best way to tile onto T&G. Last time I did it the tiles would fall off and I would end up sticking them back on with silicone.

Should I paint it first?

Any input...

Reply to
R D S

In message , R D S writes

I'd've thought, with my amateurish understanding, that attaching (rigid) tiles onto a wooden surface is bound to fail as the wood will expand/contract as its moisture level changes.

Reply to
Si

Don't.

If you have space, cover with plywood or preferably tile backing board, then use a flexible adhesive.

If that would be too thick, have a look at mermaid panel or similar instead of tiles.

auctions

Thanks guys, I will probably rip the T&G out then (never did like it, was the ex GF's dad's idea) and replace it with plasterboard, any issues here?

Reply to
R D S

No, you can tile straight onto that. You might want to use something water proof near a shower though.

Reply to
John Rumm

Well we bought some self adhesive tiles, mosaic, intended for the floor but they look good.

Should be piss easy to fit, I wonder how long they will hold up!

Reply to
R D S