Iron water pipe - capping

Hi

I have a possibly live iron water pipe ( just over 1" OD) which I want to cut and cap off.

However it doesnt have a usable and accessible threaded coupler on it ( it goes into dodgy looking lead which is probably capped off in the middle of a rubble wall).

Is there any adaptor I can fit onto a clean cut unthreaded section of the pipe to cap it off.

I cannot find a stopcock to cut this particlar supply !

Thanks Robert

Reply to
robert

Philco do a range of transition coupling that would suit your purpose.

would be a good idea to make some extra checks to make sure it is not a GAS pipe.

Reply to
Heliotrope Smith

Thanks looks very promising, there is a chance I may be able to to the screwed connector into which the lead goes but I like to have a least one fallback option ! No gas comes in other side of house, and this pipe lines up with tap in outbuilding. Robert

Reply to
robert

You could also use a Transistion coupler made by Philmac & put a blank cap in the one end. Very adaptable couplers these & avaliable from most decent plumbers merchants - approx £10-12.

Reply to
fullflow plumbing

The transition couplers will make a join to another more connector friendly pipe type for you.

So you are planning to cut this and work live?

Mains pipes outside are not too bad if you hacksaw them and then fit an adaptor connecting to a tap. Leave the tap open until the joint is made and you won't have to fight the water pressure forcing you coupling apart (you will still get soaked though!).

For an inside pipe I think I would go for a freezing kit.

Reply to
John Rumm