Iron/steel water pipes

Working in a 1950's built ex council house today, doing some plumbing work. Asked where the stopcock was & was shown a very old looking stopcock in an iron or steel pipe about 1" diameter.

Turned it off & nothing happened - turned out to be the stopcock for an outside toilet, main stopcock was inside another cupboard.

Anywho. Turning said stopcock off, probably the first time in 40 years caused it to drip around the gland nut. Couldn't undo the gland nut, nor could I shift the stopcock from the tee piece it was in.

Managed to stop the drip with a 'bandage' of a J Cloth & LSX but it needs a permanent solution. Easiest would be to cut out a section inc old stopcock & replace with copper or plastic.

Are there couplings that will fit iron pipe without threading? I know there are couplers for lead pipe.

Any other suggestions gratefully received.

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

Restuff the stuffing box?

Should be hemp but unravelled string will do. Worth a try rather than major surgery.

Reply to
EricP

Primo couplings. Plumb Center part number R63353 is a Primo 3/4" steel compression fitting to female 3/4" BSP thread, which should be right for a pipe that is just under 1" OD. You would have to ask at the counter whether there are other types, as that is the only combination I use.

Colin Bignell

Reply to
nightjar

Good thought, but the nut would not shift whatever I did. Very close to kitchen unit, so blowlamp can't be used.

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

Thanks Colin. I have a branch close by, I'll check it out.

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

The Universal transition fittings that BES do will get you a iron to MDPE join. See something like part number 13546

Reply to
John Rumm

Been there, broken the gland nut. At which point I didn't know what to do next, whereupon my friend's wife said "I suppose this is a stupid idea but perhaps you can get one at the scrap metal merchants". Turn water off in street, undo stopcock, go to scrapyard and the price of a pint procures a sound replacement same thread.

Reply to
Tony Bryer