Pipes

A few years ago I called a plumber to renew some taps. I also wanted a new waste that could be unscrewed as the old one was unsightly and I was worried I may drop something in the plughole and not be able to retrieve it but the plumber could not get the large nut under the sink undone and told me that the sink would have to be replaced if he tried to use force as it was fragile and old with a hairline crack. I thought I would make do for the time being. Anyway I tidied the pipe and yucky stuff around the hole and painted the pipe a jolly yellow and things were ok until today. A small puddle told me I had a leak somewhere but not under the sink - seemingly. In fact it was a teeny weeny hole in the waste and the water was coming out like a man peeing so to say. It seemed to leak forever considering it is a fairly short u bend of copper pipe and eventually fed up of waiting for it to stop I wrapped tissue around the pipe and left the water to drip into a container. I suspect use of bleach left overnight may be rotting the pipe. Is this possible? Is there a product to seal the hole and stop other holes appearing?

Reply to
Mrs Bonk

Your probably going to have to replace the pipe. Once a pipe starts leaking in one spot it usually is ready to develope holes everywhere.

Reply to
tinacci336

Thank you dear but replacing the pipe at this time is out of the question. I was hoping for a cure that worked like the solution one puts in a car radiator when it has sprung a leak.

Reply to
Mrs Bonk

clean pipe well and use electric tape. I did that once on new years day and it lasted for many years till I replaced the sink

you must have a smooth surface to seal

Reply to
hallerb