Two window questions

I've got a window that's leaking through the glass/wood joint (it's a non-opening window in a high dormer). What's the best way to seal it?

Same window: sunlight during part of each day shines through and strikes a table filled with photographs, which are fading with this direct light. I'd like to put some kind of UV film on the glass (it's probably 15-18 feet high, so a shade is impractical). What's the best way to go about that? (I've looked under Glass and under Window Films in the Yellow Pages, etc., but can find nothing but autoglass shops.)

Jim Beaver

Reply to
Jim Beaver

Remove the old glazing compound and re-glaze it.

Glass does a good job of blocking UV but not 100%. I understand the newer multi pane windows with the heat film inside do a much better job.

What kind of photos do you have? There are very large differences in how resistant to fading. A good archival processed silver based and properly toned print will last a very long time. A typical inkjet print will have a very short life.

Reply to
Joseph Meehan

Even without UV the photos will fade, have copies made and store a set in dark.

Reply to
m Ransley

another solution to the photo problem would be to leave the window glass alone and change out the glass in the photo frames with UV glass. I know that custom framing shops carry this, but I'm sure you could get it cheaper through an auto glass place.

my cousin owns a Glass Doctor franchise, which does auto glass and home windows etc. I'm sure you could go to a similar place and have some pieces cut for your photos.

you can put in your zip code to find a glass doctor near you.

Reply to
spamdisintegrator

m Ransley is right on. UV glass will do little if the photos are getting direct sunlight on them. Intense visible light will fade them quickly. John

Reply to
JohnR66