Stopcock or lever ball valve?

Can I completely replace a standard brass stopcock such as this one:

a lever ball valve like this:
read the archives and found that people have used these in addition to a traditional stopcock, but I'm thinking of removing the stopcock completely as it takes a lot of levering force to turn it off completely.

Any disadvantages in using a lever ball valve for this?

TIA

Mr F.

Reply to
Mr Fizzion

The disadvantage with ball valves is that they are not so good for control. Just cracking a ball valve will tend to wear the seat material. Best usually to keep ball valves for strictly on-off duties. Control on the incoming main can be essential to achieve a balance between: High enough pressure to serve all users. and Not such high pressure that the pipes clang with water hammer when turning off taps etc

Phil

Reply to
TheScullster

that is because neither it, nor the street c*ck worked*, so removal of the old one was more hassle than it is worth. I actually spent extra money to buy a branded Pegler one, given its importance.

As a plumber, you might prefer the stopcock, as you get guaranteed replacement work in 10 years when the stopcock fails yet again.

Christian.

  • I can assure you that adding a new valve without the capability of turning off the supply is quite a nerve racking experience, but surprisingly little water actually escaped.
Reply to
Christian McArdle

I had to do that once at my sister in laws. Nerve wracking indeed. Used a freezer kit, which worked an absolute treat, much to my surprise. Even had to wait 25 mins for it to thaw so we could put the kettle on!

Dave

Reply to
david lang

No possibility of a freezer kit in my case (iron pipework). It had to be done live.

Christian.

Reply to
Christian McArdle

Will they not work on iron pipe then? I didn't know that.

So I assume you just had to work very, very quickly then?

Dave

Reply to
david lang

That's the idea. It's surprisingly (a) how quickly you can cut a pipe, undo a compression nut and jam a valve with bit of pipe sticking out with olive and nut onto a broken stopcock fitting and (b) how little water comes out. It was helped that the old stopcock would turn down a little, although it would still be fairly described as gushing.

Christian.

Reply to
Christian McArdle

A wet(and dry) vacuum cleaner can make a good job of mopping up surpising amounts of water quickly in these situations. I use an old one when draining rads. royall at which net

Reply to
look