Domestic water meter

Does a water meter restrict the flow rate in any way?

I'm thinking of fitting a water meter like BES 11357 just to check my usage to see if it would be cheaper if my bills were based on a meter.

Any disadvantages?

TIA

Mr F.

Reply to
Mr Fizzion

I don't think it does restrict the flow? regards to being cheaper it depends if its installed for a single person on their own which does work out cheaper but it would not with 2 or 3 in a household.

Also you have to take into account because you have installed a meter you're aware of the fact that water is metered and are more apt to not waste any. when i lived in a single flat my water rates where £179 a year till I got the meter installed which reduced the bill to £84 a year but where as I got a bath 7 days a week I reduced that to 5 days a week.

You have the right to have the meter taken out before the 12 month period from the time you had it installed, fitting the meter is free of charge.

Reply to
ben

It is also worth taking water saving measures, like no firehose showers, and aerated tap nozzles (champagne effect). Turning down flows on basins, etc. This doesn't mean you go without or sink for two days of the week.

Reply to
Doctor Drivel

Even with 2 adults and then a bit later 2 children a water meter was still cheaper for us.

Reply to
chris French

Or simply fit one of your combis.

Hope the house you flooded after your trick with the hacksaw wasn't on a meter.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

"chris French" wrote

Seconded. Family of four, not overly extravagent, bills about the same not metered/metered.

Phil

Reply to
TheScullster

Heh! the whole point of getting a meter is to halve your bill.

You state..."bills about the same not metered/metered".?

Reply to
ben

He is learning at last. Nah could never happen.

Reply to
Doctor Drivel

Even with two adults it saved me 35% or £140 / annum

Andy

Reply to
Andy Pandy

They don't actually remove the meter, you just revert back to the standard water rates, BUT when you move the poor sod who buys your house gets saddled with metered water whether they like it or not.

Reply to
Matt

In a recent episode of Tonight with Trevor McDonald, in an experiment they managed to halve a households use of water through a few simple changes.

The household was on a water meter. They spent £40 fitting various water saving devices. I believe the devices paid for themselves and started saving them money after 5 months.

They installed a plastic bag device in the cistern that took up space and reduced the amount of water used to flush the toilet.

They also installed aerated tap nozzles and an aerated shower head.

Graham

Reply to
graham

What they didn't tell you was that they all then smelt like polecats with a bedwetting problem

In terms of water usage across Europe the French are the lowest. Not a statistic to be proud of though considering they use the least amount of soap and the highest amount of perfume ;-)

Reply to
Matt