Cutting circular holes in wall tiles

About to commence tiling in bathroom and need to cut approx 1 inch diameter holes though normal wall tiles for shower connections to protrude though. Not aware of tile cutting hole cutters and wonder if normal hole cutters will do if well lubricated/cooled with water.

Any tips/ideas??

TVMIA

Reply to
CS

I got a cheap set from Aldi last year that was advertised for use on bricks etc. Worked fine on tiles (and bricks and blocks) and was cheap enough to throw away if it only lasted the one job.

I bought a tile cutting hole saw and it worked very well.

Kevin

Reply to
Kev

Aldis have these available at the moment.

Rob

Reply to
robgraham

If you look back through recent archives of this group you will see a reference to 365drills.net.

I've used their drills in small sizes and a 55mm one for a faucet. It worked well on limestone. In some cases I drilled the tiles in a water bath before fitting them. In others I drilled in situ and had an assistant spray water on the cutter with a plant sprayer.

The system works well as advertised.

Reply to
Andy Hall

Wait until the tile adhesive has gone off completely and then chain drill carefully around the circle with a small masonry bit in a hammer or SDS drill. The holes can be joined up and the central bit removed with an old chisel. Try and do this before the adhesive is hard and you'll crack the tile.

It worked for me but the shower fitting came with decorative collars that were larger than the holes so i could afford to be a little messy.

MBQ

Reply to
manatbandq

Thanks to all - found a circular cutter on Screwfix. Guess should have thought of that first - but I'll look at Aldi.

Reply to
CS

I'm waiting for that deal to come back - missed it last time. They were £7:99 IIRC. Were they OK? (occassional use).

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

My local one don't not.

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

Worked for me. Four(?) different diameters with a grit type coating to the end of each. Went through tiles without any fuss but took a little longer through brick. Got there in the end and cost a lot less than others I'd seen. As I said previously, good value even if I had to throw them away after the one job (which I won't, I'll just lean on them a little more heavily once they slow down!).

They were not just ok, they were brilliant. I tiled our largish bathroom and used the cutters not only for pipes but to drill out holes for insetting small feature tiles into the main tile. Still got all the cutters and they are still like new.

Certainly ok for DIY and occasional, probably not so for pro use but an absolute bargain at the price.

Reply to
Jeff