Advice for walk in shower floor - anything suitable other than tiles?

We are in the throws of designing a new bathroom and instead of bath (we have one in house elsewhere) we want a big walk in shower. The largest shower tray Ive seen is 1700 but only 2/3 of that is for shower, rest is a dryish area seperated by tiny flap of glass. Ideally we want something bigger.

After reading a few probs about floor tiles/ grouting/ mould there is no way I want that to be a risk as I am plagued enough by mould in our ensuite. That made me wonder if it is possible to have a flooring, other than tiles, in a walk in shower. I know there is aqualoc wood type floor and karndean vinyl type for bathrooms but would these be suible for shower floor?

Any tips on tile free mould free sghower floor wd be much appreacited! Many thanks Beccie

Reply to
Rebecca

If you don't mind the cost you can go with some marble. It is the 'man made' kind . A man came out and measured my shower, goes to his shop and mixes up something like epoxy glue and pours it out on a form. The base is set in and then the side walls are put in place. Then a custom glass door is made. It can be custom made to most anything you want. Also had the sink for the bathroom made in a matching color. The base is all one piece, the walls can be made in very large pieces, mine are about 3 feet wide and 6 feet tall. The sides are smooth so mold cleanup if any should be easy.

Reply to
Ralph Mowery

I'm 74. I've lived in the tropics all my adult life. Hot, sultry tropics. All showers I've had were tiled. None of them EVER had mold.

In fact, I don't think it is possible for mold to grow on glazed tile. On grout yes, tile no. One keeps it from growing on the grout by sealing the grout (and maintaining the seal when/if needed)...preferably with a silicone sealer.

But since you don't want tile, you need to look for a seamless, non-absorbent material. Wood isn't it. A shower pan made of acrylic, fiberglass or epoxy would work.

Reply to
dadiOH

concrete? perhaps stained and/or textured? perhaps with a teak grill over it to stand on?

sandblasted glass? textured granite? rough slate? i wouldn't use marble, as it's too soft, stains, and would be hard to keep looking good.

you can get mold on tiles if there is any texture and water is allowed to stand on it and doesn't drain away.

regards, charlie

charlie

Corian but it is expensive. There are companies that will do any size you want.

Reply to
Art

Do it with tile and use EPOXY GROUT. It won't mold or stain and finishes/cleans nice. It is more expensive and you have follow the directions, but it isn't much more difficult to use.

Reply to
beerguzzler50

Yeah, I hate tile, too. You didn't mention your budget or the size of floor you need. Stainless steel would be nice if you can afford it.

Reply to
mike

The problem with tile isn't so much the tile, but the pan and the quality of the installation. There is a new material out (I can't remember the name of the material) that is a rubberized sheet over a polystyrene foam core. It's a very sturdy and watertight solution. However, a properly installed and maintained shower pan should not leak.

We just had our shower done and the installer built the shower pan using mortar and a rubberized sheet. We're very happy with the results

-jim seattlecurlerATcomcast.net

Reply to
Jim Sullivan

Check out "handy capped" shower pans. They are designed to be able to roll a wheelchair in so have no curb or dam. They are also quite large as you would expect for a wheelchair.

Reply to
Inspector D