OK, I am a bit confused. My car would not start. I had a neighbor
look at it who was a mechanic when he was a teenager some 50 or 60
years ago. He said that my battery is not properly grounded, and said
I need to ground the battery and the car will start without any more
problems. I went to Home Depot and bought a ten foot ground rod and
drove it in the yard next to my driveway and hooked a 49 gauge red
wire from the rod to the red wire on my car battery. The car still
did not start so I changed that wire to the black battery wire. The
car still would not start so I went back to Home Depot and bought some
black wire and connected that in place of the red wire, so the colors
matched. That still did not solve the problem. I decided to connect
both the red and the black wires from the battery to the ground rod.
As soon as I did, the wires started smoking and the red one melted in
half, leaving a bad burn mark on my fender.
I did all of this and had the battery properly grounded and it still
will not start. I really dont know what to do next. I was a bit
worried anyow because even if the car did start, I would not be able
to move it because it was connected to the ground rod, unless I got
some really long wires.
What do I do next?
By the way, I am not sure if that wire was 49 gauge or not, but it
cost 49 cents a foot, so I assume it was.