Floor tiles over asphalt

I've finally got around to refitting our ground floor ensuite. SWMBO has decreed that as well as a walk in shower etc etc etc we should have a tiled floor. All the tile adhesive on sale at the sheds contains warnings that it is not suitable for use on asphalt. I assume that this is due to the non porous nature of asphalt and as a result the tile adhesive would not form an effective bond. Are there any other products that would be suitable to bond cermic tiles to asphalt. I am loath to rip up the asphalt and lay a screed for what is a fairly small area. Ideas anyone ?

Neil

Reply to
Neil

We, the unknowing, bought our house 32 years ago that had a bit of a damp basement that was not used as such but for office, bedroom, etc. The following spring, after we'd had the floorboards and joists replaced with new of the same, an hours' long downpour flooded the rooms when a tsunami roared down the street and entered the rooms through the old, metal cellar windows (the house stands lower than the street-- but that's another story).

Thereafter we had the wooden floors ripped out and had the "floors" asphalted, just like street pavement (and we had the windows replaced with glass blocks). On top of the asphalt we laid carpet tiles, the kind that are heavy enough not to require adhesive. Perfect.

The glass blocks have been replaced by real windows, in the meantime, after the street was paved with curbing to prevent future Niagara Falls, and we've insulated the walls from the outside. For you who are new at all of this: never buy a house that stands lower than the street, and take out enough mortgage to do a proper job right from the start.

Reply to
MB

Look at using BAL Single Part Flexible or Rapidset Flexible til adhesive.

Reading the 'destructions' on the bag it says it can be laid on masti asphalt bases as long as they are cleaned with detergent to remov dirt.

Then I suppose it just bonds to it!

-- Cordless Crazy

Reply to
Cordless Crazy