Rotozip for Installed Tile?

I have a tiled bathroom which has a single switch for the light. I'm installing an overhead light and a fart fan, and need to add a bigger switch box. The problem is the box would be in a tiled area, and I can't just rip out a couple of tiles and cut new ones to fit (I don't have any matching tile).

So, would a rotozip or equivalent work to enlarge the existing hole through the tile.

Is there a better way to do this? (Remember, I don't have any spare tile, nor do I know what grout was used when the tile was installed).

Thanks in advance...

KB

Reply to
Kyle Boatright

hole

I believe you've got the right idea. Besides, the edges shouldn't need to be perfect as long as you're using a switch cover plate, right?

Also, I believe the technical-correct term for your fan is a "Fart Snatcher". Then again, maybe those are just the HD models that are called that. LOL

Reply to
Chubs

hole

So put the fart chaser and light on the same switch and use an stacked switch. No cutting needed as long as you can fish the wire to switch the location.

Reply to
SQLit

An option I've considered. My preference is for 3 switch box.

KB

Reply to
Kyle Boatright

The RotoZip solid carbide bit will work well for this application, also works for plaster though the wood lathe will smoke a bit.

Dan

Reply to
Dan
1) Use a double switch, it takes a standard sized outlet plate cover. Probably even get one with one switch and one timer (assuming you want a timer for the fan) if you look hard enough. Here's a neat option:

Or if you decide to proceed..

2) Rotozips work fantastically well for cutting WALL tiles of the sort typically used in a bathroom. I marvelled at the beautiful holes I created to allow passage for plumbing pipes when tiling a bathroom in my house. Just get a rotozip or dremel tile cutting bit, and practice on a piece of tile first to get the feel.

However, don't even think about cutting floor tiles with one. The tile will destroy your bit before you get 1/4 inch into it.

hole

Reply to
J T