Cutting installed tile

I need to remove about 3" from the tiles in my tub surround so I can remove the current tub and install the replacement (which is taller). I do have matching tiles, so I also have the option of just removing the bottom row.

When I tried cutting and/or removing these tiles today, I found that I did too good of a job installing them -- it's like trying to remove the the gravel from a concrete wall. I got one out, but it took a few layers of backer board with it, and is starting to loosen an adjacent mosaic pinwheel stripe.

I'm considering a Fein Multimaster (or renting similar). After searching this NG, I'm also considering a rotozip. I figure one or the other can at the very least remove the grout, making tile removal easier. At best, I would be able to cut the tiles in place.

Anyone have any ideas?

Thanks!

Reply to
Mike Reed

Taking out the bottom row of tile is your best option. Scratching out the grout with one of those hand tools may help minimize the damage. It is a beach of a job no matter how you do it.

The rotozip is a great tool. I use mine a lot. For cutting tile it is about near worthless. The rpm is too high and you burn up the bit before you do much cutting.

Of all the tools I own if I felt like I had to use power, I would use an abrasive disk in my angle grinder and cut a line about .5" below the first horizontal grout line. Figuring I could chip out the last 1/2". Now that will make a first class dust mess.

Be really careful whatever you choose. A flying tile fragment gave me the only cut I ever needed stitches for.

Colbyt

Reply to
Colbyt

Thanks for the tips. I just hammered that row out in about an hour using some concrete chisels.

No stitches.

-Mike

Reply to
Mike Reed

:)

Too late since the immediate problem is solved, but for future reference I've done well using a small diamond blade in a cordless circular saw.

I used a cheap cordless from HarborFreight, and when possible I had a small puddle or stream of water running on the cut line to keep down the dust. When water wasn't an option, a helper holding close the intake from a shop vac helped a lot.

sdb

Reply to
sylvan butler