Bosch Router dies again

All,

My Bosch 1617 router has died a second time with the same problem - absolutely nothing happens when you turn on the switch. The first time was under warranty, but it's about a year out of warranty now. Is it possible to fix this myself? Or does it require Bosch-specific (i.e. expensive) parts to fix?

If it's too much of a hassle, I may pitch it. It was in the shop one other time under warranty, and I've no lost love for it :(.

It's a shame, too - I'm very satisfied with all of my other Bosch purchases. Of course, this one says "Made in USA", not Germany like, say, my 24V Bosch drill, which has fallen off the roof twice with no ill effects.

Thanks in advance.

Reply to
Michael White

The first thing I would look at is the switch.

Reply to
CW

I would contact Bosch and tell them that this is the second one. Obviously an inherent problem that they have failed to fix as mine had a bad switch also about 8 years ago. They know there is a problem with the switch because you and I know.

Reply to
Leon

The switch is definitly a weak spot. A very dinky item, I have taken my router apart and put the switch back together twice. A very sad thing for an otherwise great router.

Reply to
John

My switch broke, so I left it in my table where I didn't need a switch; just shorted it out. A couple years later I decided I wanted it out of the table. I contacted Bosch and they sent me a new switch. Worth a try. Pretty easy to install.

Reply to
Toller

I've removed and cleaned out the switch in my 1617 three or four times now. It gets choked with fine saw dust so the internals won't move. It takes about 15 minutes to fix the problem and be back in business. This is of course assuming that the switch hasn't actually broken.

All you need is a philips screwdriver to remove the top, a medium size pair of needle nose pliers maybe to remove the spade connections on the back of the switch, and a small flat blade screwdriver to carefully pry open the switch back. Open the switch very carefully. You have to make sure you know the orientation of the rocker and spring so you get them back like they were just without the sawdust.

Reply to
PCProffitt

This happened to mine twice. First time was the switch, replaced under warrenty.

Second time was the switch and the variable speed controller. Replaced under credit card warrenty.

If it goes again, I'm writing to Bosch to express my dissatisfaction.

Chris

Reply to
Chris Friesen

Why don't you try to figure out how the sawdust is getting in and seal the leak or tape it closed. I had this trouble with a Delta Router/shaper switch and discovered that the gasket between the front and back half of the case wasn't sealing tight. After dis-assembly and cleaning I re-assembled it and then wrapped some electrical tape around the outside of the case to cover the seam. That was several years ago and it hasn't failed since. I had only used the tool a few months before it failed the first time.

Reply to
Charley

I took the router apart (which, BTW, now requires a T-15 Torx bit, not a Philips) and pulled out the switch. There was sawdust inside, but 1) the sawdust didn't look to be interfering with the switch operation and 2) the sawdust comes from the outside not through the back side, i.e. it can't be sealed without fixing the switch in place.

What I did see, though, was that the contacts had quite a bit of carbon buildup from all friggin' 12 amps arcing over to go through that small connector (I'll pay the extra $2 for a relay! Geesh). I sanded it down and the connection is now made, but that's not a long-term solution. So I made a trip to Fry's and found a replacement switch that -looks- to be the same size. Says it's rated a bit higher.

I'll let you know how it works.

Reply to
Michael White