Re: Bosch 1617 Router combo

I am not sure what $5 accessory you are talking about, but I do have the

1617EVS fixed base router. Yes you can use it in the router table and the fine tune adjustment knob will work fine with adjusting the router. The fine tune adjustment knob is part of the fixed base.

I am thinking about getting the Bosch 1617 router combo,

> Am I correct that, using the fixed base, this can work/adjust well in a

table even w/o a router lift? Anyone here who uses this router who can > advise on this? Does the "Fine Adjustment Knob" accessory help? (At $5, > it may be the cheapest power tool accessory I've ever seen.) > > Also, any comments on effectiveness of the dust "extractor" kit? Thanks. > -- Igor
Reply to
Leon

> Am I correct that, using the fixed base, this can work/adjust well in a

It works well in a table. You have to reach under and make the adjustments, of course. I've since bought a Benchdog lift and that makes it even easier to work with, but by no means do you have to have it.

If you plan to use it mounted in the table exclusively, look for the router with just a single. base. Or even no base. I paid $179 at Woodcraft when they had a special on the fixed base. Check around for a better price. Ed

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

OK, so you and Leon say it works well -- i.e., not such a big deal having to unclamp, set, reclamp. Good. The budget isn't there now for a lift. BTW, at Amazon they are selling the two-base electronic version for $229 and this month any Bosch purchase >$200 gets $20 off, so $209 net, delivered. That's probably the way I'll go.

Neither of you mentioned the Bosch DC attachments so I assume you have made other arrangements.

Thanks, guys. -- Igor

Reply to
Igor

Yup. Works fine here. The front of my table is open so it's no big deal to reach under.

djb

Reply to
Dave Balderstone

I personally use this router free hand but the adjustment works well upsiode down or right side up. I have an older Bosch Plunge 1611 IIRC hanging under there. I am looking to go with the 1619.

Good. The budget isn't there now for a lift.

Absolutely.. I bought my 1617evs in August 1998 and paid $219 for fixed base only. Plus, no tax and free shipping if you can wait a few extra days for shipping.

I use a Bench Dog router table and fence. I still get chips in the bottom of the cabinet but the lions share goes through the fence to the shop vac.

Reply to
Leon

I bought an extra base that stays permanently mounted in my router table. If you talking about the extention to the existing fine adjustment knob, it came with the extra base. It makes it easier to find and turn the adjustment knob but not so much that I would consider buying it seperatly.

Jo

Reply to
Jo

In a table, it helps big time. Outside the table, I don't bother with it.

Barry

Reply to
B a r r y B u r k e J r .

I added a $40 "table mounting kit" that includes a fixed base without the wooden handles and the fine adjustment extension to my 1617 accessory collection. This frees up my 1617's straight base for freehand work, without messing with the table setup.

The only Bosch dust extractor I've used is the one on the edge guide. It works pretty good, but I prefer freehand routing without the extra pain of a vac hose following along.

Barry

Reply to
B a r r y B u r k e J r .