Finally gonna upgrade my fence - Which one?

I've lived too long using a tape measure to set the distance from the front of the blade to the fence, then measuring the back of the fence, then measuring the front of the fence, then checking the distance to the blade again to see whether (as if they never do) it has changed and I need to adjust (always).

I've been leaning toward the Shop Fox because of the incorporated T-slot for attaching accessories, but with the way they sell it with the long rails, it is among the most expensive of the ones I'm considering.

The Shop Fox Classic is in the running, 'cause I don't know whether I'd actually ever take advantage of that T-slot.

The Vega has gotten consistently good reviews, but I haven't been able to find anything definitive in terms of the difference between the Vega and the Vega Pro (other than price).

So, Shop Fox or Shop Fox Classic or Vega or Vega Pro? (Or maybe save $100-plus and build my own from some of the plans out there.)

I'll be putting this on a Delta Contractor's, by the way. A new saw is not in the budget - unless it's a Ryobi BT3500, in which I wouldn't need a new fence.

Reply to
Wolf Lahti

Mule Accusquare. Has T-slots, will fit on any saw, $200.

JE

Reply to
Jon Endres, PE

I've got the HCT equivalent fence on my saw and love it.

Novak Buffalo, NY - USA (Remove "SPAM" from email address to reply)

Reply to
Nova

The difference btwn the utility and the commercial versions is, AFAIK, the same as btwn the Biesemeyer 'Home Shop' and Pro/Commercial models... namely heavier built, larger front tube (I think), and a longer fence bar that hangs out a ways over an outfeed table.

Everything about the Vega Utility seems to be what I want, but I'm still convincing myself that my beater is worth the upgrade ;) Mulecabs are highly recommended by most everybody that has one it seems.

HTH,

nuk

Reply to
nuk

I've had the regular Vega on my Grizzly contractors saw for a couple years, and it has been dead perfect. Great deal.

Reply to
Chris Schanck

Biesemeyer.

Reply to
Howard Ruttan

I have the mule also. I really like it. And the price wasnt bad either. I think they are out of Canada but I have the fence in about

6 days.

Reply to
Rich

I bought a Vega Utility, the shorter one, not the 52" model, for my Delta Contractors saw, and can easily say, it was some of the best money I have spent.

As an engineer, I was a little underimpressed by the collection of hardware that came in the pack, but the cheesier stuff is just for setting the height, and alignment, before the final lockdown with more substantial hardware. After installation and use, I will tell you it is perfectly engineered, just the right level of quality for each component, and no more. More would NOT make it a better product, and would likely substantially raise the price. The standard bar is plenty rigid for almost anything I can imagine pushing through the saw, and that includes full sheets of plywood. I could see the a thicker front bar on a commercial setup, where some lacky employee rams the sheetgoods into the fence with little regard for the tool. Might also be the ticket is buying the 52" version.

Well thought out piece of gear. Installation was a snap, although, I have heard of others having an issue with non-standard saws, like Crapsmans.

T-slots would be kinda nice, for mount a vertical feather board, or sacrificial fence, but the aluminum fence extrusion has a thick enough wall that drilling and tapping for couple of 1/4-28 socket head cap screws work just fine. No slot to catch odd dimensioned work either.

DLG

Reply to
DLGlos

I upgraded to this fence, but I don't like it. When (if ) finances permit I'm going to replace it with something like the mule cab.

-- Mark

Reply to
Mark Jerde

I too have the Mule - bought it about 2 years ago and am very satisfied with it. I took an afternoon to mount and get everything aligned. I haven't had to fuss with it since the initial tweaking.

I have small basement shop and I am always looking to save space so I will probably buy their router table and fence to add to my t-saw in the near future. Their router fence bolts directly onto the rip fence.

luck with whatever you get

Reply to
MHaseltine

Thanks for the responses--to a variation of a question that I know gets asked all the time here.

Based on what folks have said, I checked out the Mule Accusquare, and it looks as though that company gives you more for your money than anyone else around--not just in the fence but in their other products as well.

Check 'em out at . I'll probably get the fence and the router table as soon as finances permit.

Reply to
Wolf Lahti

The one thing the Mule doesn't have is a micro-adjust. The factory fence that came with my Grizzly had it; the Shop Fox Original doesn't (despite what they say ). If money was no object I'd get this. It's about 2x the mule, but it has microadjust.

hate "thumping" on a fence to move it small amounts. The microadjust on my factory Grizzly worked very well for getting within 1/32".

-- Mark

Reply to
Mark Jerde

I put a General "T" 52" fence on my 36-650 and wouldn't go back... HUGE inprovement, highly recommended.

Dave (no affiliati> I've lived too long using a tape measure to set the distance from the

Reply to
Dave

snip snip

===================== Well I have been running a Biesmeyer fence (and they do not have a micro adjustment ) on my saw for well over 10 years and have never found that I missed or even needed a micro adjustment... So I honestly would not pay a ANY premium for it on any fence system...

I am not really UP on the various after market fences TODAY because I stopped looking at fences the day I ordered my new saw with the Biesmeyer ... I honestly love the thing .

Personally that is all that counts...

Your "Hatred" of bumping the fence is a good reason however for you to purchase what you personally like...

Bob Griffiths

Reply to
Bob G

Yup. I even added a micro adjust to my router table fence because I got tired of sloppy multi-pass dados. Now I can move it persactly where I want it. If it ends up sloppy that's not the fence's fault anymore. ;-)

-- Mark

Reply to
Mark Jerde