Which Shop Fox fence should I get with a Grizzly G1023?

Newbie question here. I've scoured the net, and can't find much on the two flavors of Shop Fox fences for the Grizzly G1023 Cabinet Saw.

I'm in the process of setting up my first shop, and I'm trying to decide whether it's worth the extra $ to go with the G1023Z over the G1023S. I called Grizzly today, and they said the only differences are the hinged motor cover on the Z and the fence system.

The Z has the "Shop Fox Fence," and the less-expensive S has the "Shop Fox Classic Fence." Near as I can tell, the "Classic" is a Biesemeyer clone. But the fence on the Z actually locks down on the far rail as well. They say it moves parallel to the blade (within .004") whether it's locked or not.

Does anyone have any experience with either of these?

Any help would be appreciated!!!

Reply to
Mark Cooper

I've had the 1023S with the classic fence for about 18 months and like the setup. Mine has the 50" fence with the optional extended table to the right of the blade. As for the fence, it's sturdy, stable and has not gone out of adjustment since setting up the saw when new. While I am not in a production setting, I have ripped 3/4" sheet of 4 x 8 plywood and heavy 10' (x 30") sheets of solid surface and the fence, from what I can tell, did not deflect when the material was pushed through the blade. As I recall the

1023Z's fence had some trouble (in a magazine TS comparison article) in getting close to the blade due to interference with the blade guard or something. I also like the classic fence's slick plastic sides. It certainly reduces friction and binding when one makes cuts using featherboards. In short, when I compare the 1023 to the lower end Delta and Jet cabinet saws, I don't see a large difference in quality, but I am sure that there are folks out there that will take issue with this opinion.

Good luck with your purchase.

TEF

Reply to
TEF
[..snip...]

I have the 1023 with the "Classic". It is a Biesemeyer clone. It is heavy and solid. The faces are UDPE plastic, and not especially flat, but shimmable, like many similar fences. They are replaceable as well. If you do a search here using Google Groups, you will see comments from others indicating this is a good or OK fence. I have to say, it is a bit rough around the edges, but is effective and stable.

I don't have experience with the Z model that locks down at both ends. There was a review in Fine Woodworking years ago that compared table saws, that they faulted this fence for not always locking down parallel. I believe Grizzly considers this their higher end fence.

Reply to
Jim Weisgram

Hi Mark,

I bought the 1023SL about 3 months ago. I picked it over the Z and the 1023S because it was about 100 lb heavier and had motor cover/dust port which the S did not have.

This is a great saw. I like the SF fence a lot. I checked out the new Sears cabinet saw in person at a local store just to see if the Bies fence was that much better-I don't think so.

The 1023SL was very easy to set up and was very accurate out of the box - just minimum adjustment.

Good luck with your purchase!

Lou

Reply to
loutent

I have the classic. It works and is plenty stiff so it doesn't NEED to lock down on the far side. When I researched this a couple years back the classic seemed to be a more popular choice as it is stout and less fussy.

-j

==============================

The one statement you made above... (Z actually locks down on the far rail as well)

Is all I need to tell you NOT to get that one.... I will NEVER ever own a fence that locks down both front and back...NEVER AGIAN

I have been running a real Bies, not a clone, and not a Delta product....for over 15 years and absolutely love it... I did however stop looking at fences the day I installed mine... so I am not at all current on what is on the market...no need to be... Any clone should be just fine...

Bob Griffiths

Reply to
Bob G.

Why? That kind of vehemence is usually reserved for things that have led to disaster. Personally I've never used any fence that *didn't* lock down both front and rear and can't think of a single reason to eschew them.

Tim Douglass

Tim Douglass

============

Well when a fence locks down out of alignment it is a disaster...and after having this happen more times then I care to remember I have cause to SHOUT my disaproval of any fence that even has the tendancy to do so..

Once aligned to the front rail a front lock fence like the Bies and its clones will lock down in the exact alignment as it was set up for...time after time.

With a fence that locks both front and back...there is a tendancy for the rear lock to pull or push the rear of the fence slightly out of position...as it is locked down.. thus the fence is no longer in alignment...

Just my opinion...and I honestly will never own another fence that "may" lock down out of square ..

Bob Griffiths

Reply to
Bob G.

Hi Bob,

I agree with you. My previous TS had a fence that locked down front & back. Sounds good, but every time I locked my end, I had to go to the front end and check the alignment with my tape. Often, if running a lot of lumber/plywood at the same width, I would clamp the fence to be sure that it would not wander.

My new SF (Griz 1023SL)fence is way better and seems to lock into alignment with no problem.

I am sure that there are excellent fences that lock down on both ends, but I am satisfied so far. It's been a whole 3 months tho, so we will see.

Lou

Reply to
loutent

Thanks to everyone...based on all your good advice, I just ordered the G1023SL...not only is it a left tilt, but it appears to have the better fence as well.

Thanks again for all your experience.

Reply to
Mark Cooper

I bought the "Shop Fox Fence" because I thought I wanted it. Now I'm planning to get rid of it when I can afford a new fence. It doesn't get very close to the blade, the so-called micro-adjust is a joke, and the amount it hangs off the back of the saw makes it difficult to mount a permanent, useful outfeed table.

-- Mark

Reply to
Mark Jerde

Reply to
Gerald Lasco

Hi Mark,

I have a 1023Z. I love the fence. It has stayed true through one year of regular use.

I bought the Z model because I wanted the better fence, the T slot in the top is great for adding on jigs and using the board buddies (I cut a lot of 3/4" stock).

If you wait, Grizzly may have a sale, I got mine for $995, which was $100 off list last year.

Heres some pictures of mine with the board buddies on the fence.

rob

Classic Fence by mounting a board to the top of the fence with a miter track mounted in it. Board Buddies work just fine on this as well.

TWS

Reply to
TWS