Bosch 1617 blues

A little over a year ago I bought the 1617PK combo kit that was on clearance at Lowes. I used it for about 6 months fairly regularly.. nothing too extensive. Then one day it wouldn't turn on. Blew the dust out of the housing, checked the cord, brushes etc. Nothing. I was in the middle of a project I had to complete so I talked myself into buying a 1617EVPK. Reasoned I'd rather have a variable in the table and would get the other fixed for backup. After a short while this one quit. Again, in the middle of a project that had to be completed on time. So I boxed it up and returned it to Lowes. When I opened up the third router I noticed they've added something that looks like it may be a capacitor to the cord. Anyone know what this is and is this the fix for a recurring problem with the Bosch router?

Reply to
mel

Don't know anything about that, but I do know that several people here have reported problems with that router not operating due to dust infiltrating the switch. Opening up the switch and blowing it clear of dust seems to do the trick.

Google-search this group for "bosch router dust switch" for more info.

Doug Miller

I have the 1617EVS mounted in a table. I connect this to an outlet which is switched on/off at the front of the table. I did this for convenience, but also found out that the switch on the router will sometimes not turn on, as you have experienced.

As long as the router switch is not disturbed, the tool works fine, but if I turn it off, it may not turn back on - at least not immediately. I have to mess around on/off, blowing dust out, etc. Due to my table arrangement I am able to leave the router switch always "on" at the router.

I also have a 1613EVS which has never been a problem. I think there is something wrong with either the 1617 switch or the speed control.

Dave Paine.

Reply to
Tyke

Its a Bosch problem. Mine did it after 5 minutes of use in 1998 and my old

1611 fills with saw dust preventing the switch from being depressed.

Reply to
Leon

the router problem is probly the dust in the switch thing. the thing on the cord is [if its what i think it is! ] an anti theft device. it says do not remove on it and i was unsure at the start but lo and behold something heavy got droped on it and it broke off. nothing in there but a strip of magnetic stuff used to trip the alarm if it goes out the door without being passed over the device at the counter. i found these on a makita sander and a delta dust collecter so far. i think there are more but havent paid a lot of attention to them. see if it will move on the cord. if so it may say dont remove accross it. if it gets in the way bust it off.

skeez

Reply to
skeezics

snipped-for-privacy@milmac.com (Doug Miller) wrote in news:5yTAd.8749$ snipped-for-privacy@newssvr19.news.prodigy.com:

Exactly right. My 1617 mounted in my router table had the same problem with the switch. I ended up disassembling the switch and blowing it out with compressed air, per the posts here on the wreck. Did the trick for me.

Reply to
Nate Perkins

"mel" wrote in news:okTAd.9631$ snipped-for-privacy@newssvr11.news.prodigy.com: This same thing happened to me a few days ago (always in the middle of a project). I disassembled the switch and cleaned it out and was back in business in 20 minutes. I had some thoughts about trying to seal up the switch, but I was in a hurry to finish my project.

Good luck

-6

Reply to
No6

I am helping a local artist make picture frames for a show he has coming up. He also bought the Bosch 1617 kit. It looked great with all of the stuff in the box and that huge suitcase it comes in. Within one half hour of using, the thing died and would not start up again. Dust in the switch. You'd think a company with Bosch's reputation would fix this. Or is that why these routers are so cheap?

Reply to
max